What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How well does Air Video work on moderate to slow connections?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious...like if I wanted to watch a movie via public wifi which is usually slower, or speed equivalents to 3G or overloaded networks, etc.

Does it just buffer longer or it will play choppy?

mrnoshot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as 3G it really depends on the area you are in...if you are receiving a great 3G signal and getting your full 3G speed, the quality can be good(but not great) - you have the option in the global settings to change the bit-rate and tinker with it a bit.

In a bad 3G coverage area, the video will look pixelated. Also, other factors to consider are how fast your pc is that is the video server and also how fast your upstream speed is on the server end.

In a good wifi area the quality is superb...for me it is equivalent to playing the file locally on the device. Hope that helps some...

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does. But can you say, make the quality better so it's not pixelated and if you do that will it just buffer for awhile before it starts, it it will just be f*cked?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can set the bitrate anywhere from no picture (just audio) to near uncompressed depending on your connection speed...and it is set as a speed value...so you can just use speedtest, find out your download rate and set it to that and you should be fine. Quality wont be perfect on slow speed but it will work.

mrnoshot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury is correct...I use the SpeedTest app first to get an idea of the speed I will be getting

Here is a breakdown of the settings I use...I hope it is not too convoluted :)
(again, what is good quality is totally subjective for all of us)

Bad Area 3G
-----------
Downstream from SpeedTest = 390kbps
To stream .avi at 624x352 resolution or .mkv at 1280x720 res I set the bitrate in the Global Settings in Air Video at 384kbps
Buffer is ok...does not take long and I only see it at the start of the video
Playback is not choppy but does look pixelated pretty bad

Medium Area
---------
Downstream from SpeedTest = 850kbps
To stream .avi at 624x352 resolution or .mkv at 1280x720 res I set the bitrate in the Global Settings in Air Video at 768kbps
Again, not choppy but looks ok, not pixelated that bad except for the black areas of video

Good Area
----------
Downstream from SpeedTest = 1.6mbps
To stream .avi at 624x352 resolution or .mkv at 1280x720 res I set the bitrate in the Global Settings in Air Video at 1536kbps
Buffer is no problem...starts playing pretty fast
Quality of video is pretty good

Best WiFi .mkv at 1280x720 resolution = I set the bitrate in the Global Settings in Air Video at 2048kbps whether it is needed or not
- Picture and playback is fabulous

--

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury is correct...I use the SpeedTest app first to get an idea of the speed I will be getting

Here is a breakdown of the settings I use...I hope it is not too convoluted :)
(again, what is good quality is totally subjective for all of us)

Bad Area 3G
-----------
Downstream from SpeedTest = 390kbps
To stream .avi at 624x352 resolution or .mkv at 1280x720 res I set the bitrate in the Global Settings in Air Video at 384kbps
Playback is not choppy but does look pixelated pretty bad

Medium Area
---------
Downstream from SpeedTest = 850kbps
To stream .avi at 624x352 resolution or .mkv at 1280x720 res I set the bitrate in the Global Settings in Air Video at 768kbps
Again, not choppy but looks ok, not pixelated that bad except for the black areas of video

Good Area
----------
Downstream from SpeedTest = 1.6mbps
To stream .avi at 624x352 resolution or .mkv at 1280x720 res I set the bitrate in the Global Settings in Air Video at 1536kbps
Buffer is no problem...starts playing pretty fast
Quality of video is pretty good

Best WiFi .mkv at 1280x720 resolution = I set the bitrate in the Global Settings in Air Video at 2048kbps whether it is needed or not
- Picture and playback is fabulous

--

Also, keep track of your upload speed...since AT&T sucks and won't give me more than 1.5 mbps up so I can't go any higher than 1024....which looks really nice.

Most reactions

Latest posts