What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to turn on Verizon LTE?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Man...I'm on chat with a Verizon rep. I went through the process of setting up 4G...and it wants to activate 3G. What gives. The Chat agent doesn't seem to know what to do...

Has anyone one done this before...

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Where do I find the SIM ID Code?

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok...i got the code..but the verizon website says error when I punch it in..

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a very sucky process. The verizon chat agent is clueless and so is the person that I got on the phone about the same subject. I guess I will take it in to verizon.

armoredsaint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
maybe your area doesn't have a 4G signal and it's defaulting to 3G? You check general settings for cellular and turn ON LTE?

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
armoredsaint said:
maybe your area doesn't have a 4G signal and it's defaulting to 3G? You check general settings for cellular and turn ON LTE?

No, we have 4g. I had to a take it in to a store. It won't activate on the website. Verizon's web support is very poor.

Funny thing....in the Verizon store I had LTE speeds, but now, in the mall right next door, I'm back on 3G and get sucky 3G. So as of right this moment, I've only seen Verizon's 4g work inside a Verizon store, and no where else. But this is my second or third exposure to 4g....the other, besides today, we're when I was selecting my next phone....what a lie if this 4g only works in their stores......

Last edited:

geobernd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon is known to have femtocells in their stores... Unless the coverage map clearly indicates 4G for your area that may be what you are experiencing.

armoredsaint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, we have 4g. I had to a take it in to a store. It won't activate on the website. Verizon's web support is very poor.

Funny thing....in the Verizon store I had LTE speeds, but now, in the mall right next door, I'm back on 3G and get sucky 3G. So as of right this moment, I've only seen Verizon's 4g work inside a Verizon store, and no where else. But this is my second or third exposure to 4g....the other, besides today, we're when I was selecting my next phone....what a lie if this 4g only works in their stores......

I had the same issue and started a thread on it last Friday too - anyways, VZW tech said it wasn't registered yet when it arrived at my house since I was supposed to be delivered on Monday, but it got here earlier - reason why I couldn't activate LTE.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm definitely within the 4G area...this is Greenville SC...this whole region is deep red on the map.

Last edited:

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LTE is barely supported in my area and mine bounces in and out of LTE so it definitely works. I have a mini hotspot so I just tranferred the service and to my surprise it was easy and I never had to talk to a rep. The service updated about 5 minutes after I confirmed everything online.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting...but both the Chat agent and the store rep told me I could not activate 4G online....

I ain't seeing no 4G here, though. I'll drive around the city tomorrow "hunting" for 4G. I'm only going to keep this a month or so anyhow....

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not know about Verizon, but my AT&T account couldn't have been easier to transfer over. And I had no problems setting up my old iPad on a new account. The hardest part was giving them my credit card number. That really hurt. It sounds like something is not set up right in your neck of the woods.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not know about Verizon, but my AT&T account couldn't have been easier to transfer over. And I had no problems setting up my old iPad on a new account. The hardest part was giving them my credit card number. That really hurt. It sounds like something is not set up right in your neck of the woods.

I read someplace today that AT&T is way ahead of Verizon in regards to setting up 4G. It was almost like VZW is just not ready for the load of customers, even though they have the markets. I don't get it.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok...I left my house today and my 2012 iPad was on 3G....drove from here to the Verizon store...and still on 3G....so I went in and asked a sales person what gives...the lady took the ipad and turned cellular off and then back on...after coming back on...it took a bit..but eventually it connected and displayed LTE. Speedtest revealed about 7down/7up (mbps). Then I started driving around heading back toward home and the tablet remained locked on LTE...all the way until I got back inside...now getting about 12mbps down and 7mbps up. Don't know why it locked onto 3G like that, but apparently there is LTE in this area, just as promised by Verizon. Happy for that.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have noticed that too. It can take from 30 seconds to a couple minutes for the LTE to kick in.

Most reactions

Latest posts