What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer iPad to Someone else

rcmcminn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently own the original iPad and have ordered the iPad2. When the new iPad arrives, I plan to restore it from a backup of my old iPad in order to transfer apps and data.

I also intend to give the old iPad to my daughter for her use. My plan is to restore the old iPad to factory settings to remove all my data and then add some selected apps and sync the device.

Once this is done, will she be able to sync the iPad to her MacBook and iTunes account? Or are there specific steps that need to be followed to accomplish the transfer of the device and apps?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently own the original iPad and have ordered the iPad2. When the new iPad arrives, I plan to restore it from a backup of my old iPad in order to transfer apps and data.

I also intend to give the old iPad to my daughter for her use. My plan is to restore the old iPad to factory settings to remove all my data and then add some selected apps and sync the device.

Once this is done, will she be able to sync the iPad to her MacBook and iTunes account? Or are there specific steps that need to be followed to accomplish the transfer of the device and apps?

One of our frequent Forum posters, twerppoet, sent this advice in answer to someone else who asked this exact same question...

"In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should be able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in."

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further questions..

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
You can follow the above instructions for backing up your iPad.

If you want your daughter to use some of your apps, you will have to authorize her iTunes version with your account. This can be done under Store->Authorize this computer. Then enter the iTunesStore, ensure that it shows your email address in the top right corner and redownload any of your already purchased apps. (redownloading apps is free of charge, it will ask you to buy it again, but when you select yes, it says: Already bought. Just downloading). In effect, your daughter will have two iTunes accounts on her MacBook, her own and yours, so she can still buy her own apps/music/movies, but is also able to use any iTunes content you buy.

Most reactions

Latest posts