What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer Amazon Prime movies so they are visible on TV larger screen?

tadd5181

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Amazon's Prime which allows many movies to be played on my iPad2. However, when I cannot display the movies via an HDMI cable to a TV in order to see them on a larger screen. Any ideas how to show the movies on a larger (larger than iPad's screen) TV?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If Amazon won't let the video play out over an HDMI cable (or via Apple TV and wifi) it is because they don't want to you do that (and thus doing so is considered stealing). I can't remember if it will play via either of these two methods because I rarely watch Prime videos at home, and when I do, I can get them on my computer screen or Tivo (well, only the ones I pay to rent...not the ones that are free for Prime members). HBO Go used to have the same restrictions, which was kinda stupid because in order to have HBO Go, you had to be an HBO subscriber. But if they let you play out over HDMI, then you could do that anywhere....which is nice. Finally they gave in and now if you have HBO on cable, you can play out anywhere. In the case of HBO, that makes more sense since subscribers pay a lot of money on cable every month. In the case of Prime, not so much since you are getting this stuff on top of upgraded shipping for $90 / year, a lot less than what the cable companies get (more so for people who order a lot of stuff from Amazon, which most Prime members do because it makes sense to do so).

If you set up a HTPC, then problem is solved. You simply go to Amazon on your HTPC and play out to your TV (which is what I do).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok...I'm at home now. I opened amazon prime and it seems my Apple TV and give me the option to stream the movie to my Apple TV which is connected to my big screen tv. So, you need either an HDMI cable and/or an Apple TV, assuming I understand your question (which I am not sure I do).

xrayeyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a Roku to stream Amazon Prime on my tv. I think I saw they were $29.99 on Cyber Monday!

xrayeyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Roku set up wirelessly through my router and then hooked up to my old box 27" Magnavox TV. (yeah..don't laugh). The Roku is connected to my tv by video cable. Pretty simple set up, but Prime, Netflix, ect work just fine!

(btw, My post count is below 6 and I can't use some of the features of the forum yet):)

Most reactions