What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please decipher this error message

tadd5181

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Amazon's app for movies/TV onto my iPad 2. I have watched several movies using the app on the iPad. Then I connected my iPad to my TV (Samsung) via an HDMI cable to watch the Amazon movies on the TV's larger screen. When trying to do that, I get an error message on the TV screen, which reads as follows:

AirPlay Mirroring and HDMI Output are not currently available. To AirPlay video to an Apple TV, first disable mirroring: Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access Control Center to find AirPlay options.

What is "mirroring". Note I was using a Samsung TV (not an Apple TV) and I was trying to get input to the TV from the iPad, not output. What can I do to get the movies on the Amazon app to play on the TV?

Any help is appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I downloaded Amazon's app for movies/TV onto my iPad 2. I have watched several movies using the app on the iPad. Then I connected my iPad to my TV (Samsung) via an HDMI cable to watch the Amazon movies on the TV's larger screen. When trying to do that, I get an error message on the TV screen, which reads as follows:

AirPlay Mirroring and HDMI Output are not currently available. To AirPlay video to an Apple TV, first disable mirroring: Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access Control Center to find AirPlay options.

What is "mirroring". Note I was using a Samsung TV (not an Apple TV) and I was trying to get input to the TV from the iPad, not output. What can I do to get the movies on the Amazon app to play on the TV?

Hello - first the Apple TV (shown below, left) is like a Roku device (which I own) but has an Apple technology included called Air Play - the device is attached to an HDMI port on a HDTV and communicates w/ the iPad over a Wi-Fi network; when you play multimedia, such as movies, on your iPad the screen is 'mirrored' to your TV via the Apple device; SO, offers a non-cabled option to putting content onto your HDTV from the iPad.

Second concerning your HDMI connection from the iPad 2 to your HDTV, I'm assuming the you are using the adapter shown below (which I also own + an iPad 2) - the black one is the HDMI cable that would connect the iPad to an HDMI port on your TV. The contents on your iPad should then be seen on the screen of the TV (assuming that you have the TV's port selected properly). But, let me stop there to see if any of this information helps - good luck! Dave :)

buystrip_hero_2x.png accessory-apple-digital-av-adapter.jpg

OP
T

tadd5181

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I contacted Amazon and they finally decided that their app for movies/TV does not work when doing what I was doing (play a movie from Amazon onto my iPad and thence onto a TV). The HDMI cable and Apple connector works fine in transferring stuff from the iPad the TV except ​for movies on the iPad from Amazon.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I contacted Amazon and they finally decided that their app for movies/TV does not work when doing what I was doing (play a movie from Amazon onto my iPad and thence onto a TV). The HDMI cable and Apple connector works fine in transferring stuff from the iPad the TV except ​for movies on the iPad from Amazon.

Hi Tadd... - ya know I spent a little time composing my post to you (hope that you at least read my explanation of 'mirroring'?) - but you did not respond to your setup w/ your HDTV? If you are able to view a movie on your iPad via the Amazon app, then using the cabled HDMI connection, the film should appear on your TV; if not, then may be an issue w/ your connection or w/ the iPad - not trying to be a PITA, but I would probably not trust Amazon's response in this situation - NOW, I've not given this a try but hopefully others w/ personal experience may help - Dave :)

OP
T

tadd5181

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I talked to Amazon, after hearing my problem, the man i talked to (who seemed quite knowledgeable) was very positive that the method Amazon uses to stream movies/TV to an iPad is not compatible with forwarding that onto a TV via HDMI. Of course, I am not knowledgeable at all about these things, so I have to take his word on it. But thanks for your help.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some apps do not allow a stream to be sent to a TV via HDMI. I don't know why, but for some reason they don't allow this feature and somehow disable it.

Most reactions

Latest posts