What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tether 3g ipad to computer.

qwerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I tether a 3g ipad to a computer. IE ipad provides internet and sends it to computer.

didisinned

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually already did this recently. First you need to jailbreak your iPad using "Spirit", and then install MiFi. Mifi program will allow you to tether your iPad 3G to any wifi device. Warning though, tethering the Ipad will quickly dimish your battery when it's turned on! Make sure to keep it plugged in.

Good luck!

OP
Q

qwerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just so I'm certain, because this is the main reason I would get the iPad, you were able to tether the 3g ipad to a computer and send the 3g internet received from the iPad to the computer?

Reason I ask is I have seen multiple threads of tethering to send internet from computer to ipad but not internet from ipad to computer.

Geekinthegarden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just as didisinned said, jailbreak ipad then install myfi and you can share the ipad's 3G connection to the computer or any other wifi devices such as iPods or wifi only ipad's. Note though that myfi is a paid app, $9.99. I've been using it for a week, works like a charm!

OP
Q

qwerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cant find mifi on cydia? Where is it at????

Yellowette715

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually tried this. Jailbreak then mywi. My computer said I was connected to the Internet but it wouldn't let me actually get on the Internet. Anyone know what the problem is?

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My buddy did this without jail breaking. Has a nokia cell phone, his phone had the option Of turning it into a wifi hotspot. Didn't need to use 3G at all.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just so I'm certain, because this is the main reason I would get the iPad, you were able to tether the 3g ipad to a computer and send the 3g internet received from the iPad to the computer?
Seriously this would be the most expensive way I can think of. AT&T's 3G has very low bandwidth caps for a high price. Get a Sprint wifi modem or if you need a phone get a Sprint EVO 4G. Either way you can put any device on the Internet for less than the iPad 3G w/AT&T option. With the EVO you can put up to eight devices online at once.

Lots of people have done the math and Sprint's plan is cheaper than AT&T and Verizon.

Also with the EVO you get the advantage of having a small Android tablet for lots of times when the iPad is too big to carry. I use my EVO to put my WiFi iPad and Asus netbook on the web and save money.

Reid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tethering PC from iPad

I have a Nokia E71x phone that, by downloading the free Nokia Suite from the Nokia site, allows me to use the phone as a 3G modem to connect the PC to the Internet.

Would like to do the same with my new 3G iPad. Been reading a lot on those sites about "jail breaking" the iPad and then applying non-Apple certified software. Assume that means bypassing measures applied by apple to ensure we all buy apps apple gets a cut from? Is that the case? What is the best break software and where do I get it?

Most reactions

Latest posts