What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to send file to ipad?

psk2299

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have question, in my desktop, same pdf/doc that document files, I want to send that files to ipad, any step I need know? and not found in "My Computer" > increase drive for ipad? please!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have question, in my desktop, same pdf/doc that document files, I want to send that files to ipad, any step I need know? and not found in "My Computer" > increase drive for ipad? please!
An iPad does not have a central location where files can be downloaded to. Files can only be downloaded to an app that is capable of handling the file. For example, you can download PDF files to iBooks. The easiest way to get the PDF onto your iPad is to email it to yourself. You then tap on the download icon in the email and when it's finished downloading you tap in the upper right corner and you will see an open in tab. Tap on this tab and a list of all apps capable of handling the document will appear. Select the one you want and tap on it. Your document will be transferred to the selected app.

OP
P

psk2299

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is it desktop file (.pdf) I need installed Adobe PDF apps. if desktop (.doc) file, I need install Microsoft Word viewer app. etc... if no installed (can support/open file .ext) that app, must can't save.send to ipad?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
is it desktop file (.pdf) I need installed Adobe PDF apps. if desktop (.doc) file, I need install Microsoft Word viewer app. etc... if no installed (can support/open file .ext) that app, must can't save.send to ipad?

Sorry, but you really must be much clearer in describing your needs - the above is pretty much 'gibberish' to me, so I'll try to interpret your desires?

First, you have PDF & DOC files on your desktop computer and you want to transfer these files to your iPad and be able to at least read, if not 'edit', the documents - correct?

Second, you need to: 1) Have a mechanism to transfer these files; and 2) Have an app(s) on your iPad to accomplish the above. Your files can be transferred wirelessly by a number of methods - you can attach the documents to an email, sent to yourself, and then open the files in the iPad Mail app (as already suggested); you can also use a cloud service, such as Dropbox, on your desktop computer and your iPad.

Now, if you have the files sent to your iPad (w/ either of the 2 methods mentioned), both of these files will open in the iPad Mail app, if you just want to read them; you can also open the files in other apps (look for the little box w/ the outgoing arrow, upper right corner), such as iBooks, GoodReader, Pages, et al​ - this is pretty easy once done. Good luck and let us know your results. Dave :)

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can always just email to yourself as an attachment and open the email and attachment on your pad email in whatever app you want to read it with on your iPad. I believe iBooks will read PDF, the Kindle App, GoodReader, maybe Pages. Some are free, some come on the pad, and others you pay for, ie GoodReader.

Some you can transfer by attaching your pad to the computer with iTunes, but instead of syncing, click the Apps tab and scroll down to the bottom and find the app, say GoodReader, and click it. Click to add files and locate the file you want on the computer and add it to your GoodReader. You can add files to the computer from GoodReader this way, too, if you downloaded a file from the internet to your pad and don't want to just email it to yourself. Done the same,,except select to,transfer the files from the pad to the computer. Much like copying files from one folder to another with a file directory.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Google Drive (Google's answer to Dropbox) has a great feature.

You upload files to Google Drive using your home computer (just like you do with Dropbox).. When you're viewing the online files, you can select an option called "Keep on Device". When you set this option, a copy of the file is downloaded from the net and then stored in your iPad's memory.

In order to view the file, you still have to use teh Google Drive App, but since the file has been stored on your iPad, you don't have to have any internet connection to view it.

Last edited:

omasa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are 3 different ways to transfer files to iPad from your computer - Email, Cloud Drives or software like DocSync.Net. This article discusses all three approaches and their plus and minus. There are many different ways to transfer files to iPad from your PC or Mac. One of the oldest way is to use iTunes but that requires a cable connection between iPad and PC/Mac and hence is not recommended.

Most reactions

Latest posts