What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to re-position images to show as on laptop/desktop

Michael J Ming

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a minor issue regarding image placement. The images are obviously set up as widgets on Wordpress.
Home – INALA ART GALLERY
The bottom two show correctly aligned with the second video on laptops/desktops,however on my 9.7 Ipad no matter what I do to 'manipulate' it (with <br> and <p>&nbsp;</p>,I cannot get them to align with the second video. Any help most appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the olden days we used to force elements to line up by placing them in tables. There is probably a better way to do it now.

OP
Michael J Ming

Michael J Ming

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks 'twerppoet',but I can't see tables working on widgets in Wordpress. Anyway I gave up tables awhile back in favour of divs these days.
it is just a minor nuisance that they both show perfectly aligned on laptop and desktop but seem to have shifted up above the video on the Ipad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It could be due to either the iPad’s screen size, or the iOS version, or q combination of both. If you are using a version of iOS previous to iPadOS 13.0, then the tablet requests a mobile version of the site by default.
You can request the desktop version by tap-holding the reload icon in the URL bar and choosing ‘Request Desktop version).

One of the main complaints about mobile Safari on an iPad was that it often displays sites in a kind of compromise view that is neither what you expect on a mobile phone, nor what you’d get on a desktop; even when forcing the desktop site to load.

iPad iOS 13 requests desktop versions of sites by default, and adds features that make Safari look and act more compatible with desktop sites. You can even force font-size changes by using the Aa icon at the top (and it remembers your setting for that site).

None of that helps you make your site look better for iPads using iOS 12 and earlier. And you probably knew most if not all of this. If it make you feel any better, your site looks correct (as you described correct) on my 12.9” iPad Pro running iPadOS 13.

1C65E2C3-4F88-452D-A405-BF05E84309A5.png

OP
Michael J Ming

Michael J Ming

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. twerppoet. I tried it out (tapping the reload icon) however,I am uncertain whether anything happened.
It does seem to have shifted the images down slightly or maybe that's just my imagination. At least it's fine on larger Ipads so I will think I will leave it for now
and just not compromise the look next time by omitting second videos and fewer images. Home – INALA ART GALLERY

OP
Michael J Ming

Michael J Ming

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Realized that the IOS needed updating,now have IOS13.2 loaded but when I tap-hold the reload icon,the 'Request desktop version' option does not appear. Nothing has changed with the image positions after the upgrade. Definitely will give it a miss now to December 10 when updates on the website are due.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are on iPadOS 13, then tap-holding the reload icon no longer gives you an option to load the desktop version of the site, because the desktop version of the site is now the default. This feature was only for iOS 12 and earlier, which ID itself as Mobile Safari. iPadOS 13 IDs itself as Desktop Safari to sites, thus getting a desktop version of the site.

Assuming you have a smaller iPad than me, it might just be the screen size causing the alignment issue. You can use the Aa icon on the left in the URL field to change the text size. Smaller text might result in repositioning the images. The iPad will remember the text size you choose for a site.

Tip: Make sure you tap on the screen to dismiss the text sizing tool after using it. The screen will not scroll until you do, making the iPad feel like it has stopped responding.

Tip: Excessive oversizing of text can cause parts of a site to not display. Usually sidebars. Especially sidebars with ads, so not always a bad thing.

OP
Michael J Ming

Michael J Ming

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OMG! It worked. I took up your suggestion and used the Aa icon (reduced text to 85%) and the images perfectly aligned with the second video on my Ipad 9.7.
I presume this will only occur on MY Ipad and no other 9.7 device unless the user does the same process?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OMG! It worked. I took up your suggestion and used the Aa icon (reduced text to 85%) and the images perfectly aligned with the second video on my Ipad 9.7.
I presume this will only occur on MY Ipad and no other 9.7 device unless the user does the same process?

Yep. Afraid so.

If there is a way to reduce the font size on the site itself, that may work. Though you would need to make sure it was still large enough to be easily read by most visitors.

Most reactions

Latest posts