What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to prevent iOS updated

wgonzlez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to prevent iPad users to update the iOS?

We plan to use the iPad Air 2 with a validated system and want to be able to prevent users from updating the iOS after system validation.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the iPad never leaves your network, you can block Apple's update servers. Otherwise, I don't believe so. But I'm far from being an expert on the enterprise/education tools Apple provides.

Nepheler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can stop the automatic update at Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Automatic Downloads --> Updates = "off"

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Now I'm not really that familiar w/ the iOS Restrictions (Parental Controls) - information HERE, but would suspect that update prevention might be an option - not sure - any comments? Of course, each iPad would need to be set, so not sure 'how many' are under consideration? Dave :)

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As iPads are now used in commercial aircraft cockpits I would imagine that Apple has a solution to this. The suggestions above can all, as far as I can see, be over-ridden by a user.

Edit:an after thought. I wonder if the multi user functions I understand Ios9 has will help?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Edit:an after thought. I wonder if the multi user functions I understand Ios9 has will help?

First I've heard of multi-user features in iOS 9. It certainly wasn't mentioned at WWDC, and I'd have expected a lot controversy and media attention over that.

If there is a way to prevent updates by users it will be under Configurator or one of the other MDM (Mobile Device Management) system. I've heard it talked about before on an tech-in-educational podcast, but the consensus was that it was nearly impossible to block an update (if you let students take the iPad's home); or that it was incompatible with their other goals. It's been a while, so I'm not absolutely sure.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A true multi-user system will require large upgrades in hardware:
* more system memory needed to keep user files, media, data, settings separated. Can you imagine 10 users in a 128 GB device (12 GB per user)?
* a much larger battery due to the device being in use for longer periods of time
* iOS would need an overhaul, including a new log in screen (including user name AND password) since the device wouldn't know which user is holding it

The above points would increase the thickness of the device and I'm not sure Apple will like that. This simply isn't feasible for current devices due to the limited hardware.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, as with all Apple updates, obviously rumour, but a quick search brings up many references between wish list and rumour. e.g.
'The iOS 9-related rumors have been aplenty during the past couple of days, and a report earlier today keeps the ball rolling in suggesting that Apple is prepping support for multiple users in a future software update. Additionally, there could also be a very interesting dual-app viewing mode, and given that many iOS users have been hoping to see such features for a long time, this is arguably the most exciting iOS 9 tidbit to date.....'

From http://wccftech.com/ios-9-multiuser-splitscreen/

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A true multi-user system will require large upgrades in hardware:...
That is inevitable, whatever the reason but in these circumstances why?
>* more system memory needed to keep user files...
Only if you are turning it into a proper multi-user computer, which I don't think it is at present. If the apps and system are common, then surely it comes down to settings, which could be fairly minimal (i.e. some of them being general and others user specific) and cloud based? As for more memory, I have an, at the time, start of the art 20MB drive in a cupboard from some 25 years ago; soon 128GB iPads will probably be the minimum.

>* a much larger battery due...
I disagree if it is based on simple switching between users -e.g. myself, my wife, kids....

>* iOS would need an overhaul, including a new log in screen...
Fingerprint...?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is inevitable, whatever the reason but in these circumstances why?
>* more system memory needed to keep user files...
Only if you are turning it into a proper multi-user computer, which I don't think it is at present. If the apps and system are common, then surely it comes down to settings, which could be fairly minimal (i.e. some of them being general and others user specific) and cloud based? As for more memory, I have an, at the time, start of the art 20MB drive in a cupboard from some 25 years ago; soon 128GB iPads will probably be the minimum.

>* a much larger battery due...
I disagree if it is based on simple switching between users -e.g. myself, my wife, kids....

>* iOS would need an overhaul, including a new log in screen...
Fingerprint...?
I'm guessing you've never administered a Unix system, which is what iOS is based on. iOS devices in their current hardware configuration simply aren't up to the task. One of the problems with Microsoft Windows is that Microsoft never really understood how to maintain a true multi-user system and make it as secure as possible.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, as with all Apple updates, obviously rumour, but a quick search brings up many references between wish list and rumour. e.g.
'The iOS 9-related rumors have been aplenty during the past couple of days, and a report earlier today keeps the ball rolling in suggesting that Apple is prepping support for multiple users in a future software update. Additionally, there could also be a very interesting dual-app viewing mode, and given that many iOS users have been hoping to see such features for a long time, this is arguably the most exciting iOS 9 tidbit to date.....'

From http://wccftech.com/ios-9-multiuser-splitscreen/

Your linked article is out of date. Apple announce the main features of iOS 9 at the WWDC in June, so the main features are no longer rumors, but actual news. There were no multi-user features. There are some new multi-task features such as the split screen (iPad Air 2 only) and side view modes; so the article was at least partially correct.

Multi-user would have been a major new feature. Apple could not have failed to mention it when they announce iOS 9. This is why I (and others) are reacting so incredulously to your post. We didn't realize you were still talking about the older, rumored, iOS 9 and not the announced product.

That does mean the multi-user rumor is completely wrong, the feature is probably inevitable, but it's certainly delayed to at least iOS 10, and given the difficulties mention it is more likely to appear in iOS 11 or 12 (imo).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that no hint of a multi-user capability has appeared by iOS 9 beta 4 is a pretty good indication that we'll not see it in the public release version this September.

Most reactions