What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make the iPAD lighter

Clockwork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK so this 662 grams is rather heavy. I was wondering about the option to:

(1) Replace the back housing to plastic based cover.
(2) Use smaller battery.

Yes, I know: Apple has designed the iPAD this way for a reason.
Yes, I know: If Apple has released the iPAD with a smaller battery, etc. ppl would complain about it.

However, I would personally rather loosing 200-300+ grams of weight and be happy to sacrifice the metal housing and/or some percentage of battery life.

If anyone knows of a valid solution, please share it with everyone.
Also, if someone has the technical knowledge if using an IPAD 2 battery would work with iPAD 3, please also let us know.

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to a party store and buy a tank of helium. Drill a small hole in the back of the iPad and inject the helium and then seal the hole. This will lighten the unit. Or you could paint the back of the unit with anti-gravity paint.

Last edited:

bzbmum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly have no problem with the weight, especially with the little toddler in the house. I am actually adding more bulk to it with the Griffin Survivor cover to make sure it is well protected!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't heard of any projects along those lines. You'd have to built your own back cover from scratch, most likely. Finding a battery replacement that would fit in the iPad without making it bulkier (and still have usable on time) is pretty unlikely, but I believe there are two of them in the iPad 2, so you "might" be able to remove one. If they are connected in parallel.

Sounds like far too much trouble for the gain to me. Aluminum isn't very heavy, so you're not going to gain much with plastic.At least not if your going to make the plastic thick enough to protect the iPad's components from damage the first time it falls more than a few inches. Most of the iPad's weight is in the screen. Glass is heavy.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to get plastic with the same strength, you would add weight. Apple has even looked at carbon fiber to provide more strength at lower weight. It was not worth the effort. Future models of the iPad may benefit from some newer light weight Gorilla glass they are working on. It is also suppose to be thinner with the same strength. May be on the 4th Gen, or iPhone 5, but we never know until it is released.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Clockwork said:
OK so this 662 grams is rather heavy. I was wondering about the option to:

(1) Replace the back housing to plastic based cover.
(2) Use smaller battery.

Yes, I know: Apple has designed the iPAD this way for a reason.
Yes, I know: If Apple has released the iPAD with a smaller battery, etc. ppl would complain about it.

However, I would personally rather loosing 200-300+ grams of weight and be happy to sacrifice the metal housing and/or some percentage of battery life.

If anyone knows of a valid solution, please share it with everyone.
Also, if someone has the technical knowledge if using an IPAD 2 battery would work with iPAD 3, please also let us know.

Considering that the iPad 3 is only 61 grams heavier than the iPad 2,removing 2-300 grams of weight would entail the removal of the batteries and most of the internal components.Apple could have kept the weight the same as the iPad 2,but at the expense of dramatically decreased battery life.The retina display uses much more power to drive those 3.1 million pixels,so apple had no choice but to add the extra weight to the battery pack in order to have the same battery life as the iPad 2.

OP
C

Clockwork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't heard of any projects along those lines. You'd have to built your own back cover from scratch, most likely. Finding a battery replacement that would fit in the iPad without making it bulkier (and still have usable on time) is pretty unlikely, but I believe there are two of them in the iPad 2, so you "might" be able to remove one. If they are connected in parallel.

Wow, if indeed there are more then one, connected in parallel then removing one WOULD be a nice experiment.

Sounds like far too much trouble for the gain to me. Aluminum isn't very heavy, so you're not going to gain much with plastic.

I had the impression that iPhone 3G was replaced with Plastic back housing compared to the original iPhone to address the weight issue. then again, for iPad this might not be safe enough as it is bigger and heavier.

In order to get plastic with the same strength, you would add weight. Apple has even looked at carbon fiber to provide more strength at lower weight. It was not worth the effort. Future models of the iPad may benefit from some newer light weight Gorilla glass they are working on. It is also suppose to be thinner with the same strength. May be on the 4th Gen, or iPhone 5, but we never know until it is released.

Carbon is sure an option and I'd consider ordering something customized if possible, I don't mind paying more for that.
I'd also be happy to replace the glass if/when a new Gorilla is available.

I think it is quite silly to replace a whole device just to gain weight, when the difference is back cover OR new gorilla glass. off course the new models would also have other features, but... I'd say a 400 grams iPad3 would be a HUGE difference.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go to a party store and buy a tank of helium. Drill a small hole in the back of the iPad and inject the helium and then seal the hole. This will lighten the unit. Or you could paint the back of the unit with anti-gravity paint.

Ha...Ha...Ha...:D

Most reactions

Latest posts