What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get iPad1 to be charged while connected to a PC?

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One time when I was synchronizing the photos from my PC to the iPad1. It took a long while. I discovered the iPad also got charged up in the meantime. However I don't see it happen at other times. The iPad always shows "Not Charging".

How can I make it happen?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
healer said:
One time when I was synchronizing the photos from my PC to the iPad1. It took a long while. I discovered the iPad also got charged up in the meantime. However I don't see it happen at other times. The iPad always shows "Not Charging".

How can I make it happen?

The USB prt doesn't supply enough power to show the iPad as charging. It does charge, but as a trickle charge, which takes substantially longer to fully charge the iPad. The quickest way to charge your iPad is to use the supplied charger.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I synched more than 4000 photos yesterday it took hours due to some weird algorithm though I only added two folders and renamed a few files. It looked like it deleted all the files and copied the whole lot across again. I did it with my Windows 7 laptop and it didn't show up charging the iPad. I remembered when I did the similar job of more than 3000 photos with one of my XP desktop it charged up the iPad at the same time.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
healer said:
When I synched more than 4000 photos yesterday it took hours due to some weird algorithm though I only added two folders and renamed a few files. It looked like it deleted all the files and copied the whole lot across again. I did it with my Windows 7 laptop and it didn't show up charging the iPad. I remembered when I did the similar job of more than 3000 photos with one of my XP desktop it charged up the iPad at the same time.

How long ago? When the iPad first came out it charged with no tell otherwise, after either iOS 4 or iOS 5 they added an "not charging" message when connected to a pc. This is because technically the iPad IS charging, but not by much. If the iPad is on, and plugged into the pc, it will be "charging" but it will use more power than it receives. So after some time, the overall charge of the iPad will be down. If your iPad was off, it would probably charge completely after several hours.

To explain it mathematically, let assume your iPad uses 5 watts every hour (10% of your battery life). Every hour plugged in would charge your iPad 10 watts (20% of your battery life), but every hour plugged into your pc would charge it only 2 watts (4% of your battery life). So after one hour of your iPad on and plugged into your pc, you would have a net gain of 2 - 5 = -3 watts. So your iPad would actually lose 3 watts of power while connected. (The number used are just at random to explain this numerically, it's not necessarily the actual wattage numbers)

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your patience explaining.

I noticed when I connect the iPad directly to the power point for the sake of charging, the iPad also turns on. It happens even after I specifically turn the power off. Though it does go off not long after, I am not too sure if it turns power off or it goes to power-save mode.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
healer said:
Thanks for your patience explaining.

I noticed when I connect the iPad directly to the power point for the sake of charging, the iPad also turns on. It happens even after I specifically turn the power off. Though it does go off not long after, I am not too sure if it turns power off or it goes to power-save mode.

When the screen goes dark while charging, it's just going to sleep, not turning itself off. This is done to minimize power consumption, allowing the iPad to charge faster.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
look for a download of something called Asus Ai Charger, will increase the voltage to usb on compatible motherboards and allow charging of an iPad. Worked on a Sony Vaio all in one, a Vaio laptop, and a Gateway FX series.

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad 1st Gen and since I remember, I could never charge it on my laptop.

Now that we are discussing charging here, isn't it the case that slower you charge, better it is for the battery? A while ago, I did a lot of reading regarding AA and AAA batteries and I replaced all regular batteries with these rechargeables, majority are Sanyo Eneloop. I came across several (geeky) posts that current breed of batteries are better charged at slower rates. Faster charging will reduce its performance and ultimately its life.

@ Munky,
This Asus Ai Charger thing looks pretty interesting. Didn't know this stuff, could be handy when you travel.

catyyog01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I often charge it from PC,thanks for sharing your good ideas,good thread.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
isn't it the case that slower you charge, better it is for the battery? Faster charging will reduce its performance and ultimately its life.

Good advice. I shall bear this in mind. Thanks for your advice.
I just want to make sure it is charging. Slow charging is fine.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
healer said:
I just want to save time, charging the iPad while using the PC.

Why not just use the charger that came with the iPad, it will charge much faster that way, than by connecting it to the USB port of the computer.

expertsfromindia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.expertsfromindia.com
This happened with me also. I would say, this link would be helpful to you.

[Moderator edit: Removed external link to other iPad-related forum. Please read our rules. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions