What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to find Free comics in the Comics app?

af847

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I downloaded the Comics app by comixology last night after reading on a forum that there are Lots of Free comics to read on the app. I downloaded the app, saw on for FREE and downloaded it. Then when I search for others, they all have to be paid for. Unless I was misinformed, I thought there were supposed to be lots of free comics to read in this app. Can someone tell me how to navigate the app to find FREE comics?
I know on my PC I can read lots of Free Digital Comics on the Marvel website, but it's a flash website, so doesn't work on the Ipad.

moe0000001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A great app. I was addicted to it for quite a while.
So, when you click on the store button, on the top of the screen you will see a bar that says:
"Featured" "DC Store" "New" "Popular" "Free".
Click on free and it would show you HUNDREDS of free comics and graphic novels. You scroll them and download to your heart's pleasure. The catch is, most of those are part of series where you download one for free and you have to pay for the rest. Oh well, they have to make a living :)
Furthermore, all comics have a sample where you can download the first few pages to get a taste of what you are about to purchase. Not a bad deal.

moe0000001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just went real quick through my comics library and here are a few suggestions:
Wanted (1 of 6) only 1 is free
Chew (1of 5 of God knows how many)
Azure (1 of way too many)
Dual (1 of 6 I think)

And the best free graphic novel ever:
Left 4 Dead:The Sacrifice

Just a few names of literally hundreds of free stuff. Of course it all depends on your taste so I'm sure you will find something that interests you.

Also, you can access the search engine through the Browse button (upper right corner). When you hit it, it opens a drop down menu with a little search box at the top of it where you can look up a specific title (or artist or writer or any other key word). Same principal applies to your downloaded comics, when you have more than a few of them and you'd like to search your library for a particular title.

Thanks for the thread. I haven't used the app in a few months and I see they have a ton of new stuff. Time to start downloading

OP
af847

af847

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it. I Looked at what you described and it's different in my app. Maybe you have an older version of the app. I did find where you mentioned the featured, Just added, Popular, Marvel , DC comics, and then My Comics. No Free catagory, but spotted the 3 dots in the top left had corner where those catagories were and found Free Comics in the drop down menu. So thanks for giving me a clue to where to look. I'm into the Superhero comics, never was as a kid, but after all the recent superhero movies at the theaters the last few years, I'm starting to like the comics now. I am a big fan of the Walking Dead show on AMC and I see they have that in the app. Might have to start reading those now, since we have Dish Network and they dropped the AMC channel and a few others. Thanks again!

moe0000001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My pleasure :)
From the comics I mentioned, Dual and Wanted fit the super hero profile (of a sort anyway). I loved them both to the point where I ended up buying both series right after reading that first issue. Oh, and Left 4 Dead certainly addresses your zombie needs. Too bad THIS isn't a part of a series. Very well done.
On a side note, DirecTV is AMAZING. I researched cable companies and sat tv providers for a month before getting DirecTV. Not a single regret. Give it a look. Undoubtedly worth its value.
Cheers

Most reactions

Latest posts