What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to disable that annoying pop-up

phonegeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does anyone know how to disable that popup the comes up when downloading an app asking for your password?

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
It goes away once you enter your password ;)

But seriously I dont think you can, why do you want to? Just a security feature so random people using your iPad dont download $100 worth of games.

OP
P

phonegeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well isn't that what the lock screen is for? how many locks and security features does a person need. not too mention it is my pad i bought so i can use it. not anyone eles.

OP
P

phonegeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious, is a security feature something to get annoyed about?
that all depends on how many times a hour the darn thing ask for my password. i wouldn't mind if it ask me
like 1 time everytime i turn it on. but once it's turned on and i have gave it my password for that session i should not keep asking for
my password. then yes it becomes very annoying epecially when i had just entered my password like a minute ago.
so if i download like 5 apps for example do i really have to enter it every single min. i should have the option to shut it off. it is
after all MY ipad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to settings;general,restrictions,allowed content-require password.You can choose between immediately and 15 minutes.If you choose 15 minutes,you will have to enter your password the first time,but not again for the next 15 minutes if you are purchasing multiple apps.

OP
P

phonegeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to settings;general,restrictions,allowed content-require password.You can choose between immediately and 15 minutes.If you choose 15 minutes,you will have to enter your password the first time,but not again for the next 15 minutes if you are purchasing multiple apps.
thank's scifan57 that does help but it that the longest i can extend the time? better yet can i just turn the darn thing off??

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to stop it permanently.It's a security feature to limit unauthorized app store and iTunes purchases.

Last edited:
OP
P

phonegeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i don't have the ipad with me right now, but i pretty sure it ask for the pass even for non-paid apps.
but i could be wrong. i will have to check that and post back here later

OP
P

phonegeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes,it does ask for your password for free apps.
humm now why is that? it's not like i'm going to get billed for a free app. i could kinda see the reasoning for the paid apps but the free one's c'mon apple that's overkill.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the password requirement is there for all apps,free or paid.It probably simplifies the programming.If you think that's weird,amazon sends payment receipts when downloading free books to the kindle app.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
humm now why is that? it's not like i'm going to get billed for a free app. i could kinda see the reasoning for the paid apps but the free one's c'mon apple that's overkill.

There are two classifications for free apps. Truly free and free with In App Purchases. And since Apple doesn't distinguish between the two, that is why you are required to provide your password for free apps.

Now the more interesting part is that the general public demanded Apple institute the solution you are complaining about. And it was because of children of those users being able to rack up thousands of dollars of purchases in just a few hours.

So while you might disagree with the choice Apple made, it was made with your best interest and general security practices in mind.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the constant attacks on the app store, in-app purchases, and all the other ways crooks try to steal our money, I am not going to criticize reasonable security measures. At some point, we will be carrying thumb drives that require our thumbprint on it while being inserted, in order to turn on any device.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One good thing phonegeek is to remember that you are a new user right now and you are busy downloading a bunch of apps but more than likely in a week or two your app downloads will have slowed down quite a bit. Either that or you'll be out of room on your iPad! But seriously you will probably find that you'll get used to entering your password and since it won't be an over and over thing it probably won't be that big of a deal before long.

Most reactions

Latest posts