What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to disable IOS update?

yeahman45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi got my ipad 2 on saturday.. was on 5.0 .. updated to 5.0.1.. waited for windows version of JB to come out.... jailbroken it on Sunday :) ... perfect timing lol ... now i want to disable any IOS update/notification so that i don't lose JB... how can i do it? plz? it's my first ios product

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're talking on the iPad itself, you can't disable the notification badge (when it appears - it's direct from Apple). All you can do is ignore it.

In iTunes, you can turn off the notification box pop-up. If there is an update available, you will get the pop-up. Before you reject it (that's the important part!), there's a box you can tick to say "don't remind/ask me again." I don't remember exactly what it says - it was so long ago that I told iTunes this ... and I can't find a setting to do it outside of that pop-up box.

The most important thing is to read all the pop-ups iTunes throws at you. They're sneaky and usually, the default is to accept whatever iTunes/Apple wants you to do. Ya just gotta be vigilant! :D

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In iTunes, you can turn off the notification box pop-up. If there is an update available, you will get the pop-up. Before you reject it (that's the important part!), there's a box you can tick to say "don't remind/ask me again." I don't remember exactly what it says - it was so long ago that I told iTunes this ... and I can't find a setting to do it outside of that pop-up box.

It says this: "If you want iTunes to not ask you again, tick this check box and iTunes will not tell you what we think you do not want to hear, thereby allowing iTunes to do what we want you not to not want."

Watch the Southpark video about the Humanceitipad to learn what can happen when you do not read all 1206 pages of Apple's TOS Agreement. Just today I learned that I put Apple in my will and they own my dog outright.

kocoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to block the check via the /etc/hosts file?

Most reactions