What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to: Create Your Own Winterboard Theme!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another option is Code Themed. CT allows you to create a theme on line and at no charge. Google CodeThemed and see if that might work for you.

For those with the desire to create a theme, CT seems reasonable.

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another option is Code Themed. CT allows you to create a theme on line and at no charge. Google CodeThemed and see if that might work for you.

For those with the desire to create a theme, CT seems reasonable.

Only problem with it though, is if you want to send your theme to a repository, you can't. All of the standard repositories require everything in the theme to be your own work. Code themed is not allowed.

But you can send it to your own repo or something else.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Only problem with it though, is if you want to send your theme to a repository, you can't. All of the standard repositories require everything in the theme to be your own work. Code themed is not allowed.

But you can send it to your own repo or something else.

What exactly do you mean per chance? According to CodeThemed, you can share your themes on Cydia. CT actually asks you if you want to share your themes whth something CT calls '1-Click sharing."

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What exactly do you mean per chance? According to CodeThemed, you can share your themes on Cydia. CT actually asks you if you want to share your themes whth something CT calls '1-Click sharing."

I don't mean it is incompatible.

When you send a theme to a repository, you have to agree to certain rules. Among them are the requirement that all content is original and your own work. Big boss even spells it out for you, "Compilations of other people’s hard work will not be accepted without express permission from the original designer. This includes themes created with “CodeThemed.com†and the like."

So, any content created with code themed cannot be submitted without proper permission. (which 99% of people can't or dont know how to do)

It's a great website though. :)

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't mean it is incompatible.

When you send a theme to a repository, you have to agree to certain rules. Among them are the requirement that all content is original and your own work. Big boss even spells it out for you, "Compilations of other people’s hard work will not be accepted without express permission from the original designer. This includes themes created with “CodeThemed.com” and the like."

So, any content created with code themed cannot be submitted without proper permission. (which 99% of people can't or dont know how to do)

It's a great website though. :)

So who owns the hard work and how is it being copied and what IP rights are being violated when I create a custom theme using CodeThemed? Since CT specifically allows you to offer your themes through Cydia, seems they have de facto granted you permission to use their 'hard work,' as you put it. And before you think ill of me, I hate IP violators and I agree, stealing IP is terrible and evil.

That said, how does a theme created on CT apply in this case? Perhaps you mean creating themes using icons (for example) created by others. If so, I agree with the policy. But that is definitely not what I am talking about here.

Perhaps I am missing something here, so forgive my batting around some finer point I do not seem to be able to grasp. If I were to create a theme using CT, I would use my wallpaper, my dock images, my icons, my sliders, etc. One hundred percent mine. All I would use CT for is packaging the theme and putting everything together in a zip file. Not sure what is automatically created when you save the theme. Perhaps there are proprietary files created that are unique to CT or perhaps CT generates essential files all themes require and they are somehow protected. Bob is a novice at themes.

Perhaps you were thinking that uploading icons (as an example) would violate CT's IP rights because they created them and therefore, they own the graphics. Not sure this really applies since CT specifically makes it easy to upload them to Cydia. This is a new feature of the site, in fact.

Or is it something in how CT themes are created that makes a difference? Again, help me understand. As it is now, it makes no sense to not allow a CT theme because my theme would be 100% original, iffin I were to create a personal theme, that is. If I wanted to host it on Big Boss, I could absolutely state the theme is 100% mine and therefore, it would be allowed.

Now, I will admit that I have not tried and it is entirely possible that CT could have a repo and this is the only place themes created with CT can be legally hosted. Perhaps BB is a no-go because of some odd CT rules. I am trying to find out.

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So who owns the hard work and how is it being copied and what IP rights are being violated when I create a custom theme using CodeThemed? Since CT specifically allows you to offer your themes through Cydia, seems they have de facto granted you permission to use their 'hard work,' as you put it. And before you think ill of me, I hate IP violators and I agree, stealing IP is terrible and evil.

That said, how does a theme created on CT apply in this case? Perhaps you mean creating themes using icons (for example) created by others. If so, I agree with the policy. But that is definitely not what I am talking about here.

Perhaps I am missing something here, so forgive my batting around some finer point I do not seem to be able to grasp. If I were to create a theme using CT, I would use my wallpaper, my dock images, my icons, my sliders, etc. One hundred percent mine. All I would use CT for is packaging the theme and putting everything together in a zip file. Not sure what is automatically created when you save the theme. Perhaps there are proprietary files created that are unique to CT or perhaps CT generates essential files all themes require and they are somehow protected. Bob is a novice at themes.

Perhaps you were thinking that uploading icons (as an example) would violate CT's IP rights because they created them and therefore, they own the graphics. Not sure this really applies since CT specifically makes it easy to upload them to Cydia. This is a new feature of the site, in fact.

Or is it something in how CT themes are created that makes a difference? Again, help me understand. As it is now, it makes no sense to not allow a CT theme because my theme would be 100% original, iffin I were to create a personal theme, that is. If I wanted to host it on Big Boss, I could absolutely state the theme is 100% mine and therefore, it would be allowed.

Now, I will admit that I have not tried and it is entirely possible that CT could have a repo and this is the only place themes created with CT can be legally hosted. Perhaps BB is a no-go because of some odd CT rules. I am trying to find out.

There is no harm in using CT to compile your theme. The problem lies in the content within your theme. All content must be original or you must have proper permission to submit the theme. Otherwise, it will be rejected by all default repos.
I assume CT has their own repo in which they distribute themes.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no harm in using CT to compile your theme. The problem lies in the content within your theme. All content must be original or you must have proper permission to submit the theme. Otherwise, it will be rejected by all default repos.
I assume CT has their own repo in which they distribute themes.

I fully concur. Not sure if CT has its own repo or not, but as far as using the IP of others sans permission, that is clearly wrong. My issue with your post was it did not agree with what CT says on its web site. Now that I better understand your thinking, I can fully agree with it.

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
I fully concur. Not sure if CT has its own repo or not, but as far as using the IP of others sans permission, that is clearly wrong. My issue with your post was it did not agree with what CT says on its web site. Now that I better understand your thinking, I can fully agree with it.

I understand what you were saying. It does say on CT that you can send your theme to cydia, which you can. So you are right.

Its all about content.... :)

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I attempted to port the Faenza icon set from Linux to the iPad but then some icons refused to theme, even with the correct wording as you mentioned.

Sent from K48

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
biobunny said:
I attempted to port the Faenza icon set from Linux to the iPad but then some icons refused to theme, even with the correct wording as you mentioned.

Sent from K48

You have to look in the com.apple.telephonyUi folder for lockscreen stuff.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
You have to look in the com.apple.telephonyUi folder for lockscreen stuff.

I never attempted themed the locksreen, only the homescreen icons. But I'll check it out.

Sent from K48

Most reactions

Latest posts