What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to convert your book into a ibook?

mikiyaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Can anyone help me with this question. We have a book published for teenagers on self-help and we want it to be converted into ipad foramt so that we can sell using ibookstore for ipad customers.

How to start and do this? Please help...

Pravin

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome.

There are two different softwares I use to create epub books for the iPad. The first is a simple editor called Sigil (google open source). I use it to create the book. Once created, I use Calibre to add metadata and to organize my library. Calibre will also convert just about any ebook format to epub.

Both of these softwares are free and available for multiple OS's.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
iBooks uses the (at least for now) industry standard, epub format. All current readers can read that format except Kindle..... And even it can (from what I've heard) with a bit of work.....

Simon Wood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwood.net
You could let someone take do the work for you. Smashwords.com has distribution deals with apple, B&N, Sony, etc. If you publish the book with them, they will convert the book into various formats and get it into various eBook retailing services. All you have to do is upload a formated manuscript. It might be worth you checking them out.

WillisT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some services will convert for you

There are companies on the web which will convert books for you.

QBitPublishing .com is one which I've used - they're good cause they don't charge for the actual conversion, and they'll publish it for you as well :)

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
Calibre rocks!!! It's simple, easy to use, and the output looks great. In ten minutes you can have your book converted into almost any format on the market. Did I mention that its free? Oh, and the author updates it quite frequently.

+1

Calibre is an awesome piece of software. It can convert just about any format into just about any format and it's free.

rach1000000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used sigil very successfully. I found I had more control over the end result than with calibre.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
Calibre rocks!!! It's simple, easy to use, and the output looks great. In ten minutes you can have your book converted into almost any format on the market. Did I mention that its free? Oh, and the author updates it quite frequently.

+1. I'm a convert to calibre

Amellia Sen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ebooks

hey it is already done for you and comes up with names like "Download ebooks for iPad". you can easily download it form there. or f you want to work, you can easily create your own eBook using PPT and PDF...check out yourself it is very simple.

DD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't you have to publish through Smashwords or Lulu to get your ebook on the iBookstore?

mikejohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, once you convert a book to the proper format, you just have to go through the process with Apple to get it up onto their store. As an author or publisher you want to get it done professionally, but if you are converting for personal use you can use software that will give you a rough copy in a different format.

Vigor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Calibre and sigil is two good tools you will need to create and edit eBooks. But if you have multiple documents to form your ePub eBook, you need to use an ePub creation software which will allow you to make an ePub book from different documents or combine them and set related book info in order to make a standard eBook.

I don't know why Calibre works not well with line breaking and often wreck the layout of my original files. :( But I have to say it's one of the most used open source for creating ePub files.

Scrawny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
punzhupuzzles.wordpress.com
I use Calibre and sigil for checking my ebooks. I use Calibre for converting ebooks to different formats, from ePub to PDF or vice-versa. I use Smashwords for creating my ebooks, and upload my own MSWord doc files to Amazon for conversion. Both Calibre and sigil require some knowledge of HTML if you want to fine-tune your ebook.

Most reactions

Latest posts