What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How the iPad Helps One Child With Autism

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

There’s a great article in the Huffington Post today by Ariane Zurcher, entitled “My Daughter Emma, Autism, and Her iPadâ€. In the article, Ariane talks about how an early Christmas gift of an iPad for her daughter Emma has given her new hope that Emma might actually be able to read and write, something that she thought might never happen.

“Of course the implications are exciting,†writes Ariane. “Up to this point I had wondered whether Emma could learn to read or write. I wondered if the wiring in her brain was too jumbled to be able to, just as many autistic children who can read and write, cannot speak. The other night convinced me; reading and writing are achievable goals.â€

The article describes how fascinated Emma is with the iPad, and lists some of her favourite apps, including Learning Touch First Words, iWriteWords and Sound Shaker. She's also just started looking at the Montessori Crosswords app. According to Ariane, her daughter’s most favourite app of all is Interactive Alphabet - ABC Flash Cards ($2.99), as she likes the way the letters come to life when she touches them and the different musical sounds for each letter.

It’s a long article but well worth reading, and pretty amazing to think that the iPad could actually be helping to make the lives of autistic children and their parents better and even helping them learn.

Source: Huffington Post

mjm70x7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how i can go about getting help to get an ipad for my grandson with autism. He stays at our house most of the time and we would like to help him speak with the ipad. Is there a grant i can get?

kattee817

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you considered an iPod Touch instead? You can save a few hundred dollars and its more portable for the child. My mother got one for my 12 year old daughter last Christmas and it has helped her greatly with communicating. My fav app is Grace App for Autism, created by a mother with a daughter with autism.

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Autism iPad Grants

There is a site called Danny's Wish. With medical documentation, you can apply for an iPad grant. The grants are geared for non-verbal ASD.

Danny's Wish - It's All About Giving

This is the link to apply. Also, just google "autism iPad grants" and follow the links to the numerous foundations out there. You can also get 1st generation iPad on Ebay for an excellent price. Best of luck to you and feel free to message me if you have any questions.

This is a topic close to my heart. My six year old is on the spectrum. He is high functioning and verbal but does have his "quirks" as we like to call them. The autism apps for the iPad are truly amazing and during Autism Awareness months in April, many of the ABA apps are free:) Obviously not the expensive ones for communication but from what I have seen, they are worth every penny.

Best of luck to you:)

Most reactions

Latest posts