What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How the genius @ the Genius Bar took my IPAD 2 away...

mgtonezero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased an IPAD 2 about a week ago and noticed considerable "yellowing" aka light leakage on Saturday morning.

I made an appoint and took it in for service (I have several Apple devices so in general I was expecting good service) and they tested it and confirmed the problem. They offered to exchange but there were none in stock (which I was expecting), no big deal. Got a call later that day and I was told that it was there and I could pick it up at anytime.

Went in on Sunday morning and picked up my new unit, took it home and guess what! Realized more yellowing on the bottom right corner. Again, made an appointment and went in in the afternoon.

The "genius" came out of his hole and told me that he read my note and here was the deal--- they had already replaced my device once and as per "corporate policy" they could not do it again. So I could either live with the faulty device (as is) or receive a refund.

I told him that I was willing to exchange once more and if that was faulty as well I would be okay with a refund, he said that was not possible.

He had the audacity to tell me that this was a known issue and ALL IPAD 2 units have a certain level of "yellowing" and that most have accepted it as such....

My options... keep a faulty unit or get my money back (not counting the 4 trips I made to and from the store and the 2 weeks I had to wait)....

So here is my question.... 1.) is this a real "corporate policy", 2.) how arrogant can you be to think your device is a God's send and people should be "lucky" to have one in their hands, And... 3.) Did you just publicly admit that all IPAD 2 units are faulty to an extent?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Replace

Go to another store, I've heard of people on here getting up to 3 or 4 replacements and also mention the fact you are on IPF which reaches 50 000 members. Keep iPad until replacement comes so you are not without iPad. Search on here because this has been mentioned before thats how I know.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Return it for a full refund, then buy another one. You'll probably get it just about as fast as waiting for an exchange.

OP
M

mgtonezero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did return it for a refund... I didn't have time to waste with their bs policies and the fact the guy really believed that people would live with a faulty unit just to say they have an ipad just pissed me off...

I think I'm going to waste for the Samsung Tab 10.1 and see how that works out... I had two other honeycomb devices before and aside from the e-mail issue I was fairly pleased with them...

we'll see.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How frustrating...and not normal. There are thousands of reports over the years where folks have had Apple products (under warranty and sometimes not) repaired or replaced more than once for whatever reason. Generally no store employee would tell a customer that there is a "known problem"...they just fix it or replace it. You may have run into a newbie I suppose.

Agree with the others, get a refund and buy a new one. If you still run into an issue get that one replaced. Your warranty is good for a year so if it happens that you do get another one with an issue you might wait a few months for the supply chain to flush through them before getting another replacement but it would be hard to believe such a rarity would occur.

FWIW based on reports on this and other forums light leakage was an issue on some early iPad 2 models, but it's almost unheard of now, again based on posts on the four or five forums I subscribe to.

In any case, sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. Know that it is not the norm and although there can be issues, overall Apple has a stellar customer support record both online and at their retail locations...a reputation that other companies can only dream about.

Best of luck and let us know how things go!

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According the this member's post, Apple exchanged eight iPads before he received one that passed muster!

My guess is that he is incredibly unlucky or incredibly picky...perhaps a combination of both. In any case, Apple took care of him through the entire ordeal and now he's a happy camper!

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read a post where some guy said he exchanged his iPad about 6 times before he got an iPad that didnt have problems.

Most reactions