What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How pervasive are the iPad 3 WiFi problems?

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never had a wifi problem but did have 3G problems when having used wifi for some time. The latest IOS update appears to have fixed this.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the new iPad w/ LTE. No wifi problems so far. In fact, I had a better connection in a bad spot at work than an iPad 2 in the same room. The iPad 2 couldn't keep a connection.

I did have wifi issues w/ my 1st gen iPad, early on, until a firmware update finally fixed it.

chazmink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64 gb wifi only.. Until today I thought it was fine but I was in in my car dealer's wifi lounge and the wifi on my iPad 3 only had one bar and kept dropping out. Meanwhile my iPhone 4S had four bars.

cazzabee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an ipad 3 (32gb wi-fi only) on the day the came out. Just Recently I have purchased an ipad2 (16gb wi-fi only) for my mums birthday. Running these side by side...the ipad 2 is coming out significantly faster. Running speedtest.net....the ipad 3 is half the speed of the ipad 2 and ping time a lot longer. I also have major issues with the wifi dropping when I am less than 10 mtrs away from the router. I thought it was my old router so I replaced it but still the issues persist.

I bought my 3 from Comet (UK) on 16th March. Do you think it is worth returning to them and speaking to them or should I speak to Apple themselves? After some google research (by the IT geek boyfriend) it seems that this is a well known issue.

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cazzabee said:
I bought an ipad 3 (32gb wi-fi only) on the day the came out. Just Recently I have purchased an ipad2 (16gb wi-fi only) for my mums birthday. Running these side by side...the ipad 2 is coming out significantly faster. Running speedtest.net....the ipad 3 is half the speed of the ipad 2 and ping time a lot longer. I also have major issues with the wifi dropping when I am less than 10 mtrs away from the router. I thought it was my old router so I replaced it but still the issues persist.

I bought my 3 from Comet (UK) on 16th March. Do you think it is worth returning to them and speaking to them or should I speak to Apple themselves? After some google research (by the IT geek boyfriend) it seems that this is a well known issue.

I'd try taking it back to comet, but you might need to involve apple as comet aren't exactly renowned for their customer service.

My 3 and the old 2 in the house run at a comparable speed so it suggests your 3 has issues...

Good luck!

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cazzabee, that's similar to the issues I was having. I did all the trouble shooting steps (reset network settings etc etc etc) and it'd work ok for a random amount of time, then dwindle down again.

I took mine into Apple and they replaced it on the spot (even though it was playing nice cos I'd just restored it. LOL). I have had absolutely no issues since.

If one is handy, I'd take it to Apple and let the "Geniuses" look at it. Odds are, you'll walk out with a replacement.

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 16GB iPad has better signal then any other wireless device... Motorola RAZR, Galaxy Nexus and a HP Laptop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alot of problems with wifi is caused from fancy back cases , i bought a nice silver back case , but replaced it with a clear plastic case , as some cheap back cases block the wifi and 3g because of the metal in the paint , if thats not the case its probably a ipad that s not any good ( around 8% are badly made ) wifi models use the apple on the back to collect the wifi signal , even with your hand over the apple logo can reduce the signal you get from your wifi router , on the 3g model ( 4g in the usa ) the wifi is at the top and not behind the apple logo , and the signal is much stronger as well .

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
32 Verizon: wifi issues taking hours to download apps. Should I trade?

Btw: screen is beautiful.

jerryr1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad 2 and iPad 3, both with WiFi & Verizon. When using WiFi only, both appear to have the same signal strength but the iPad 3 is V E R Y slow loading internet pages. I even have both on the desk in front of me, start the iPad 3 on a page, then start the iPad 2 on the same page and the 2 will finish before the 3 has even blanked the previous page to begin it's load.

CTexecutive

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3 days ago I bought my first iPad; 64GB, Wi-Fi, 4G from Verizon. Wi-Fi is so bad it won't stay connected even if I sit right next to the router. We have 2 routers in our small factory of 7000 sqaure feet. My laptop will show 5 bars on either one, even the one on the far side of the building with many walls, machinery, etc. between them. No problem with the 6 Droid phones we have here. The iPad won't even stay connected to the router that sits 4 feet from my desk. Tried it in a hotel on business last night. Kept dropping connection. Tried several public places. Nothing any better.

I was considering getting these for several employees to aid with scheduling, inventory etc. while walking in the building. I guess that won't be happening.

Needless to say, this unit will be returned next week. Think I'll get a refund. I really think the iPad can be a good tool but if Apple let a product out that is this bad, how long before it just dies?

Very unhappy in northeast USA

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CTexecutive said:
3 days ago I bought my first iPad; 64GB, Wi-Fi, 4G from Verizon. Wi-Fi is so bad it won't stay connected even if I sit right next to the router. We have 2 routers in our small factory of 7000 sqaure feet. My laptop will show 5 bars on either one, even the one on the far side of the building with many walls, machinery, etc. between them. No problem with the 6 Droid phones we have here. The iPad won't even stay connected to the router that sits 4 feet from my desk. Tried it in a hotel on business last night. Kept dropping connection. Tried several public places. Nothing any better.

I was considering getting these for several employees to aid with scheduling, inventory etc. while walking in the building. I guess that won't be happening.

Needless to say, this unit will be returned next week. Think I'll get a refund. I really think the iPad can be a good tool but if Apple let a product out that is this bad, how long before it just dies?

Very unhappy in northeast USA

They always say don't let one bad apple ruin the bunch. It's hard to account for every single issue when you're producing millions. I don't think you should give up. Apple has great support. Try another. And if you try online, they may throw in a free accessory for your troubles. iPads always need a good accessory.

Ocracoke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't read all the post, I have a iPad I, it works well on all wifi except Verizon. I tested it on two other home Verizon routers as mine, same slow, slow screen updates when using Safari, vid stream doesn't work, buffers, stops, buffer stops. The following fixed my Verizon problem, log into your router as the admin and set the Wifi Fragmentation Threshold to 2004 and the RTS Threshold to 500. Download the FCC Mobile Broadband test app. My numbers now match what I am paying for from Verizon, the default values, which basically turns off these options gives me 1/3 of the speed.

PS, each place I tested had Satellite TV, I have read that the Satellite cable feed can leak RF that can mess with WiFi.

Last edited:

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is my first iPad (it's a 3) and so far no wifi problems. Works great on the home wifi system and when out and about I tether through my android and fingers crossed it also works fine :)

Most reactions

Latest posts