What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often should you completely turn off your iPad?

Reaction score
Apple suggests a power down about once a week and a battery drain about once a month.

What's the source of the weekly power down advice from Apple please Mark? I've never come across it before. Just interested as we should always be in tune with Apple on this stuff and this has completely passed me by.

I'm going to have to call Apple and ask for it in writing. Dad burn if I can find a link. When I first got mine and my wife's there was a problem with her account and the Apple guy sent me an email, after we got her iTunes account straightened out , with tips and tricks not in the iBooks 4.2 manual and they were a couple. The flick up on the keys was another.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my iTablet

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I turn it off every night. Just to save my battery. I'm finding it quicker to turn off than closing all running apps one by one after double tapping the home button.

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I turn it off every night. Just to save my battery. .

How does that save your battery?

You don't have to be smart to understand, that if the device is in sleep, stand by or any other mode other than turned off, it consumes power.

And if the device is turned off - it doesn't consume, but saves power.

Do you agree? :)

PS: I'm even not talking about those scenarios when some applications (which are still in memory) trie to connect to the internet for whatever reasons (downloading email etc.). Data connection in sleep mode also consumes battery power.

Reaction score
Apple suggests a power down about once a week and a battery drain about once a month.

What's the source of the weekly power down advice from Apple please Mark? I've never come across it before. Just interested as we should always be in tune with Apple on this stuff and this has completely passed me by.
In the link I just posted below another poster suggested the same but a later post cleared up the misunderstanding. I stand corrected and apologize for the unintentional misinformation

edit requested by another moderator - no links to other Forums allowed

Last edited by a moderator:

artf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shutting down

My music screen went black, so I took some advice I read on Google and shut down completely for about five minutes. Once I restarted, the screen was restored. I listen to tons of music on my iPad. From now on, I will take the advice of users of this forum and shut down every couple of days.

iBenji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe like once a week, mines always asleep if I'm not using it.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rarely turn my iPad off, I just send it to sleep with the smart cover when I'm finished with it.

The Archangel

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There probably isn't a set rule for this. I usually power mine down at night before bed but that's about it. I doubt there's any evidence of it being good or bad to do so. Users choice, I guess. :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
There probably isn't a set rule for this. I usually power mine down at night before bed but that's about it. I doubt there's any evidence of it being good or bad to do so. Users choice, I guess. :)

As the HD is solid state there are no moving parts to wear out and by putting it to sleep the screen is rested too.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts