What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many wind instruments does Garage Band have?

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We have garage band on our Macs, but there are no wind instruments.
I thought about getting the garage band on the ipad, but I'm not convinced that I'll be missing anything from the Mac version versus the ipad version of garage band.
Can anyone tell? What am I missing by not getting garage band on the ipad?
And how many wind instruments does Garage Band have?
Thanks.

ramsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not aware of any. There's a slew of keyboards, strings, drum kits, etc... also a sampler and voice recorder...
I plan on doing bass/drum tracks with Garageband and adding clarinet and sax on a transfer to Zoom H4N as MP3 recording...
Will let you know how well that works...or not...
(Looks good on paper...)

GaryRea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I noticed, right off the bat: no wind instruments. However, it's no great loss, as you can find execellent wind instrument samples in ThumbJam, which has Audio Copy/Paste and Core MIDI functionality. :)

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Yamaha synth arp app? I tried the Yamaha keyboard arp app by mistake and I regret it.
You see Yamaha synth arp app is the one with the sound engine and from what I can recall Yamaha does wind instruments pretty well.

The reason I have not gotten the synth arp app is that it requires an ios 5 upgrade; currently running ios 4.3.

loopingstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Magnetic1 said:
Has anyone tried the Yamaha synth arp app? I tried the Yamaha keyboard arp app by mistake and I regret it.
You see Yamaha synth arp app is the one with the sound engine and from what I can recall Yamaha does wind instruments pretty well.

The reason I have not gotten the synth arp app is that it requires an ios 5 upgrade; currently running ios 4.3.

The synth arp app sounds great but has no audio copy feature - pretty much essential for any music app - so was a bit disappointed by it to be honest.

ramsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Noticed last night there are some wind loops in the mixer view... Not sure if you can replace with others, but maybe through the sampler function...

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ThumbJam app

I'm so close to getting the ThumbJam app.
Only thing is it's $8.99 and I don't see a keyboard interface.

Could someone chime in and say whether or not the user interface includes a piano keyboard.
Thank you.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just discovered SampleTank and it has wind and brass instruments.
The one I'm using is the free version and I am considering the full version because I can only use 4 instruments right now.
But I like the sound quality and it offers recording.

OP
M

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also tried 50 in 1 piano for .99 cents.
But the sound quality in SampleTank is much better.
Only knock on SampleTank so far is that the full version is $19.99, it may have been $29.99 based on some reviews.
And one more thing is SampleTank does not support SynthStation25.

Most reactions

Latest posts