What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many megabytes equal a gigabyte?

Zoie1luv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wondering how many megabytes equal one gigabyte? My ipad is only 16gb and I'd like to get an idea of how much I can actually have on it before filling it up?

Thank you:)

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1024MB = 1 GB, but people usually just estimate it to 1000 = 1

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you have the iPad connected to computer with iTunes opened it shows you how full the iPad is. You can also find this in you iPad in Settings > General > About

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's become common, for some reason, for people to use the abbreviation, gb, for gigabyte.

A 'B' = a byte or 8 bits
A 'b' = 1 bit

So the international standard abbreviation for gigabyte is GB not gb, which is not an officially recognised abbreviation.

I've also seen people use the abbreviation mb for megabyte. The official abbreviation for megabyte is MB.

mb doesn't really mean anything but, if you wanted to be pedantic, it stands for millibit - or 1/1000 of a bit.

Tim

OP
Z

Zoie1luv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim...this is obviously something I did not know. What type of byte is 'B', gigabyte or megabyte? And how many bits equal a byte? :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A 'B' equals one byte.
A byte contains 8 bits.

The term 'byte' was coined by Dr. Werner Buchholtz of IBM in July 1956 when he was working on the design of the IBM 'Stretch' computer.

Tim

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
A 'B' equals one byte.
A byte contains 8 bits.

The term 'byte' was coined by Dr. Werner Buchholtz of IBM in July 1956 when he was working on the design of the IBM 'Stretch' computer.

Tim

So basically an Internet connection at 24 Mb/s (megabits per second) is really only equal to 3 MB/s (megabytes per second)? I knew Internet companies were out to confuse the average consumer.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

TechCoach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zoie1luv said:
Just wondering how many megabytes equal one gigabyte? My ipad is only 16gb and I'd like to get an idea of how much I can actually have on it before filling it up?

Thank you:)

There are 1000 Megabytes in a Gigabyte. And, there are 1000 Gigabytes in a Terabyte.

Regards,

The TechCoach

Most reactions

Latest posts