What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.26 GB of "Other" ?

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I got a brand new 16GB iPad Air 2 today, and when I plugged it into iTunes, I noticed it had....3.26 GB of "Other" on the storage listing.

What exactly is this? Why is roughly 25% of my storage being taken up by this strange "Other", and how do I get rid of it? I know that "Other" also includes the operating system, but....is iOS 8.1 really taking up over 3 gigabytes?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That 3.5GB is taken up by the operating system as well as the stock apps included with a new iPad. There's no way to delete any of the stock apps. You will also be prompted to install several Apple apps, such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, GarageBand, etc. You don't have to download these apps if you don't want them and can delete them if they're pre-installed.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So I got a brand new 16GB iPad Air 2 today, and when I plugged it into iTunes, I noticed it had....3.26 GB of "Other" on the storage listing.................

Well, we've gone over this in other threads - these days a 16 GB machine is likely to run out of storage quickly if photos, books, magazines, music, etc. are added; plus, several GBs of 'free' space should be reserved for future updates; e.g. on an OS X machine the usually recommendation is to leave 15%-20% of free storage.

You're simply going to be extremely limited in the amount of media and the numbers of apps & their data that can be put into that 'small' storage space; and unfortunately these devices do not permit hardware upgrades; so for years, a 'rule of thumb' for me in buying storage on these devices is to decide what you need and then at least double that number. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts