What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many discharges/charge cycles can the ipad/ipad2 battery handle?

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its obviously different from a reg laptop battery right? Because obviously with tablets, people will be taking it around more running it off the battery as they would with a laptop. A laptop battery usually is about 300-400 discharge cycles before it starts to show its age and battery life declines. How about ipad/ipad 2? Because like many already ill probably be running the ipad 2 off the battery all the time unless im at home in one spot. How I see it is, people use their ipad like they do their cell phone. Use on battery during the day, charge at night. But I could be wrong.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How will one get the battery replaced if an apple store is not available?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm the sort of person who turns off lights if there's no one in the room, so I tend to power off my iPad 2 when I'm not using it. I charged it Saturday night, used it Sunday while traveling (3G), kids played games on it Sunday night, and I've been using it off and on today, including a trip to the supermarket (I keep my shopping list on it). Battery is at 34%. Will power it down for the night, and probably not charge it till tomorrow night. I've got to get that charger with the six-foot cord - makes more sense than the shorty that came with it.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From Apple's site about the battery:
A properly maintained iPad battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 full charge and discharge cycles.
... And that may be a conservative estimate.

If a LiPo cell is charged to a max 4.15V with overcharge protection set at that figure, and never discharged below 3.7V (over-discharge protection setting) it will be capable of 1,500+ cycles. At 4.20V, the figure does drop down to around 1,000 cycles, but cell phones and such devices are typically set for 4.15V max, so the iPad is likely to be the same.

Also, do not forget that this is a figure for complete charge/discharge cycles. LiPo cells do not mind being partially charged, or "topped up" - in fact it is better for the cells to do that than to run them down to empty each time. The partial charge or top-up does not count as a full cycle.

Most reactions

Latest posts