What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long it takes to charge the iPad2?

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm talking about the charging with a wall charger (220/230V).

In 5hours my iPad2 charged only to 60% and the charger is really hot.
Is that normal?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try charging the iPad from your computers USB port, ignore the not charging icon, it is charging just slower. If your iPad charges up to 100% from the USB port, the problem lies with the mains charger, it shouldn't get more than just warm, not hot. Ask Apple for a new charger.

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try charging the iPad from your computers USB port, ignore the not charging icon, it is charging just slower. If your iPad charges up to 100% from the USB port, the problem lies with the mains charger, it shouldn't get more than just warm, not hot. Ask Apple for a new charger.

I have Asus AI Charger installed so it shows me that it's charging when it's connected to my PC.

But still charges very slow. Just few percents in two hours.

I need something to compare with. What is a normal charge time from the mains and USB? Thanks!!!

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mains should be about 2-3 hours, USB 4-5 hours roughly. Try charging it on your PC without AI Charger. If your motherboard doesn't support AI Charger (all Asus motherboards are not supported), it might be slowing the charging down, instead of speeding it up. Do you know someone with an iDevice that would let you try to charge it up with your iPad charger and your PC, to see if they have any problems charging. If they don't then, worst case it's probably a bad battery.
And, one more thing, have you tried letting the iPad discharge completely until it shuts off, and then charge it up fully, this is supposed to calibrate the battery indicator. I could simply be that it's really charged fully up, but the indicator is wrong, never showing a full charge on it. The mains charger getting hot worries me. Points to bad charger or bad battery.

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi
I suspected that my non genuine Apple cable is somehow related to the issue. I'm now charging from mains with original cable and.. And now in a bit more than one hour my battery is already 40% full. So i expect that it will take another max 2 hours till full charge.

How come non genuine usb cable is limiting the charge speed? In both cases I used the original 10 w charger.

Most reactions

Latest posts