What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take to charge ipad4?

ipad4 newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it seems like it takes forever for my ipad 4 to fully charge! i am charging them when it gets to 20% or lower. Like 5+ hrs i'm talking about for it to charged! I got the wifi only, no cellular service.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's about right. It has a huge battery inside. If I were you, I'd charge it whenever near a charger and it is convenient, that way it never gets so low and will top off quicker. Once a month or so, you can run it down to near zero and let it recharge overnight.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
ipad4 newbie

ipad4 newbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ooo ok. Thanks! Was worried something was wrong with my iPad. Thanks for the informative link

cyndy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always wonder if charging the iPad more after it is filled is harmful? I remember reading once a repairman (who repairs iPhones and iPads in California) saying it does. In fact having a iPod or iPad always mounted on a dock wasn't a good idea for that reason. Still, if you ever felt the plug after it is fully charged, it is cool (as opposed to very warm while charging) leading me to believe no more power going to the battery. I always figure my iPod 4 charges about 15% a hour.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cyndy said:
I always wonder if charging the iPad more after it is filled is harmful? I remember reading once a repairman (who repairs iPhones and iPads in California) saying it does. In fact having a iPod or iPad always mounted on a dock wasn't a good idea for that reason. Still, if you ever felt the plug after it is fully charged, it is cool (as opposed to very warm while charging) leading me to believe no more power going to the battery. I always figure my iPod 4 charges about 15% a hour.

Don't worry, it won't harm the battery. After it has accepted a full charge it drops down to "maintenance".

kingjust35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cyndy said:

I wanted to know the answer to that as well

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

kingjust35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Roy Rob said:
Don't worry, it won't harm the battery. After it has accepted a full charge it drops down to "maintenance".

That is good to know

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here's how it works...

So, here’s how things work: Apple does in fact display the iPad (and iPhone and iPod Touch) as 100 percent charged just before a device reaches a completely charged state. At that point, it will continue charging to 100 percent, then discharge a bit and charge back up to 100 percent, repeating that process until the device is unplugged.

Doing so allows devices to maintain an optimum charge, Apple VP Michael Tchao told AllThingsD today.

“That circuitry is designed so you can keep your device plugged in as long as you would like,” Tchao said. “It’s a great feature that’s always been in iOS.”

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting...

It's funny this question came up because I was wondering the same thing. I came from an iPad 1 and I noticed it took much longer to 100% charge my iPad 4. The other funny thing is; my iPad 1 lasted longer after a full charge vs. my 4. The iPad 4 is considerably faster so I do understand, but with battery tech much improved I would think the 4 would last as least as long as the 1.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The retina display is the largest power user on the iPad 4. With a lot of high intensity graphics use, battery life can be reduced.

Jackx47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone here like having the screen set to bright all the way? I do I love it having it set on bright all the way!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jackx47 said:
Does anyone here like having the screen set to bright all the way? I do I love it having it set on bright all the way!

Welcome to the forum.

Not all the way, but somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 works best for me.

Jackx47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for the welcome! For some reason I like it all the way....hehehe....it looks crisper!

Most reactions

Latest posts