What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it take to back up your iPad?

iDharma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems like it takes FOREVER to back up my iPad when I sync mine. I mean forever: like 45 min. And I have a measly 16GB, of which about 2GB is free. Is it my computer? Or is this normal?

Also, is there a way to tell iTunes NOT to back up my iPad when it syncs? I mean, it seems like backing up is something I might need to do only once every three times I sync.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16gb and it is half empty and a total sync, including backup is maybe 5 minutes... maybe. Of course sync time varies depending on how much stuff I have added through iTunes or on the iPad itself.

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
Great tip, thanks. The iPod Touch used to have the same problem with very slow backups. But after an upgrade (I don't remember if it was a firmware upgrade for the iPod or an upgrade of iTunes) the problem was over. My 16 GB iPod Touch is filled much more than my 16 GB iPad, but the iPod backup takes perhaps 5% of the time it takes for the iPad. Hopefully Apple will solve this soon.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
64gb 3g + wifi with 12 movies, 1500 songs, 300 epub books, lots of apps and back-up and synch take less than 5 minutes. First-time iPad synch takes much longer but subsequent synch takes about the same amount of time (that is, of course, unless I've made a lot of content changes.)

leeherman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just did the 3.2.1 upgrade.

The required backup took over 30 HOURS (!) but the update went smoothly.

My iPad is a 64 gByte Wifi model with around 12 gBytes free. The PC used with iTunes is an older dual-core Pentium with 4 gBytes RAM and around 175 gBytes free disc space on the system/iTunes drive.

The backup performance is completely unacceptable and I hope Apple can come up with a fix. I could copy the entire contents of a 1.5TB drive via USB in a few hours, so 52 gBytes should be less than an hour even allowing for data compression.

LH

LH

TH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gregdawe.com
I've backed-up with a full 16gb and it took a while, about 20 mins I think. Before that I only had a coupla gig full and it took... a coupla minutes.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The backup performance is completely unacceptable and I hope Apple can come up with a fix.
Well... if I (and apparently several others) can do a total sync - including backup - in just a few minutes and yours takes 30 hours, and considering we are running (for all intents and purposes) identical iPads, then the problem sounds like it might possibly be something on your end and may not be something Apple can fix.

I'm just sayin'...

karstenp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same issue as with iPhone?

Maybe these tips for iPhone will work even on the iPad?

Not handling many pics in "Camera roll":
cure: delete pictures after transferring them to e.g. PC
found on the web

Resetting warnings: and disable "SEND THE INFO TO APPLE"
found on the web

edit: not allowed to post links and references to other forums. Sorry, my bad, I was too eager to share :)

karstenp

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know you mean well and I am not a moderator (and I don't play one on TV), but maybe you should read the posting guidelines:

"8. Promoting other iPad related forums or blogs in your posts, signatures, or in any way on the forum is not permitted. Doing so will result in a banning."

karstenp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know you mean well and I am not a moderator (and I don't play one on TV), but maybe you should read the posting guidelines:

"8. Promoting other iPad related forums or blogs in your posts, signatures, or in any way on the forum is not permitted. Doing so will result in a banning."

Thanks for letting me know. I was too eager to share, as I have experienced the same issue on my iPhone.

leeherman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well... if I (and apparently several others) can do a total sync - including backup - in just a few minutes and yours takes 30 hours, and considering we are running (for all intents and purposes) identical iPads, then the problem sounds like it might possibly be something on your end and may not be something Apple can fix.

I'm just sayin'...

Well, kind of like the WiFi issue, not everyone is experiencing the problem. Even with that issue, at home it was a huge problem but at a recent hotel stay wirelessly tethered to my phone it's never a problem.

There's a LOT of complaining on the Apple tech forum about backup performance, so it's apparently not just me. There's a lot of suggestions, but a lot of replies saying that the suggestions don't help.

Bummer!

Most reactions