What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How easily could a Good Samaritan return your iPad?

How easily could a Good Samaritan return your iPad?

• My iPad isn't password protected and my contact information is easy to find.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • My iPad isn't password protected and my name is easy to find.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • My password protection app alerts people of some way to contact me.

• My iPad's password protected and really difficult to hack.

• I would never be so absent-minded as to leave my iPad anywhere.

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my iPad direct from Apple. This included a free option to engrave two lines of text on the back. I've got my name on the first line; house number and UK Post Code on the second line.

If I lose my iPad, time is of essence. That's why I want my phone and email immediately visible. Someone can quickly call, text or email me, before I leave wherever I lost it, for instance.

If I lose my iPad on a trip, at the airport, etc., I want it right back. I don't want to wait till someone can write me a letter or hopefully drop it off at my house and such. My aim is to make it as easy as possible for someone to return it to me, quickly.

That's also why I don't count on battery life or tech savvy, and have a sticker on back as well with contact info, along with my onscreen info.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Find My iPhone lets you send a message to the device when you activate it after it's lost or stolen. That's been a feature for awhile. You can send whatever you want.

For the rotating info, you could use the slideshow feature -- just create one photo with your contact info.

Good idea!

OP
Asharp

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you to thewitt for the idea about adding contact information to the lock screen image and to Czevski for the idea about using Skitch to accomplish this.

I couldn't remember my Evernote password to save the caption I added to my photo in Skitch, so I took a screenshot and used a photo app to crop it and then used the photo with the contact info as my lock screen image.

(It was a lot faster and easier than it sounds.)

Chessara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This topic got me thinking...I have no info about myself in my iPad at all, I will use the lockscreen tip now :)

Frawick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chessara said:
This topic got me thinking...I have no info about myself in my iPad at all, I will use the lockscreen tip now :)

You may also wish to have the "Find iPhone" available to use from another computer or phone to locate or lock your iPad, if lost.

OP
Asharp

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Frawick said:
You may also wish to have the "Find iPhone" available to use from another computer or phone to locate or lock your iPad, if lost.

I've always had "Find My iPad" enabled. However, it was the incident I witnessed, when two people found a client's iPad before it was probably possible for her to get to a another device to use that function, that got me wondering about members' measures related to privacy, security and the return of their missing iPad.

I'm actually quite disturbed at how quickly the Good Samaritans started looking through the woman's Mail. However, iPads are still objects of intense curiosity and I want to make sure I not only make it a simple matter for a kindhearted person to return my iPad, should I ever lose my mind, but that my information is secure and protected.

I'm finding this thread very helpful.

kulit_12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just take good care of your ipad, not only your ipad but all your things, take good care of it properly..

peachysmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
will be purchasing an i pad as a gift tomorrow, thinking of engraving her name and cell number ot would email be better than cell?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
will be purchasing an i pad as a gift tomorrow, thinking of engraving her name and cell number ot would email be better than cell?

I have both email address and phone number on my lock screen and sticker on back of all mobile devices. So if I'm traveling abroad and someone doesn't want to make a long-distance call to find me, email is also available. Cell number offers possibility of quicker return.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Czevski said:
Use Skitch or any photo app that adds a caption to put information on a photo that you then use for your lock screen. You do have to be sure the info is not covered by the number square.

Sorry to appear dense, but how do I display a picture on lock screen. Looked st all settings but can't find any info.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gtatler said:
Sorry to appear dense, but how do I display a picture on lock screen. Looked st all settings but can't find any info.

Found it. For those not in the know, display a picture using the photo app. Select the curly arrow icon at to of screen. Select set as wallpaper, then set lock screen.

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Contact info on my lock screen and sticker on back, in case of no juice or lack of tech savvy. Both offer reward if found. Same on all my mobile devices.
Interesting. I like the idea and have experienced first hand. I was in Ikea in Stockholm, Sweden (World's largest Ikea). I sat on the couch and a phone rang, brand new Sony Ericsson phone costing about $200 at that time. I answered the call. The guy couldn't speak English or was hysterical. I told him, I am giving it to Ikea folks, pick up from them and left. As I was exiting, Ikea lady showed him that I returned his phone and he was offering me monetary reward. I refused so don't know how much he was willing to give but I would like to know how much would you give. (Honestly, I got very offended by this gesture. I have very much Asian (Indian) looks and I felt like his actions are telling me that he was not expecting such action, i.e. returning a phone, from a person that looks like me, consider stereotypes..)

I have iPad (1st Gen), Verizon Motorola Xoom (1st Gen), HTC One X, Motorola Razr Droid. I would also like to out such sticker on my devices, just in case.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would never accept a reward to return someone's rightful property to them after they misplaced it and I happened to find it.

I have offered rewards for lost or stolen items in the past, however nothing was ever returned as a result of the offer.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've returned many phones and wallets, sometimes to lost and found, or front desks. I'd never expect a reward, but I don't expect everyone to behave as I do, good or bad.

Once, I found a job application and resume in an airplane seat pocket, with handwritten notes that made it seem like a hiring person was interested in the applicant, so I sent it back to the company and hiring person. I've always wondered whether the person got the job.

Most reactions

Latest posts