What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How easily could a Good Samaritan return your iPad?

How easily could a Good Samaritan return your iPad?

• My iPad isn't password protected and my contact information is easy to find.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • My iPad isn't password protected and my name is easy to find.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • My password protection app alerts people of some way to contact me.

• My iPad's password protected and really difficult to hack.

• I would never be so absent-minded as to leave my iPad anywhere.

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was sitting in a waiting area yesterday when the person at the front desk noticed that someone left their iPad. Since the person's name wasn't listed in the About section of Settings, no one could figure out who to contact, so two coworkers tried searching in the user's Mail. Fortunately, the person came back, but no one said a word about the steps that were taken to figure out her identity to try to notify her. So, how easily could someone return your iPad?

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My lock screen image contains my name, phone number and email address....

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Contact info on my lock screen and sticker on back, in case of no juice or lack of tech savvy. Both offer reward if found. Same on all my mobile devices.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thewitt said:
My lock screen image contains my name, phone number and email address....

Kaykaykay said:
Contact info on my lock screen and sticker on back, in case of no juice or lack of tech savvy. Both offer reward if found. Same on all my mobile devices.

Both of these are great ideas. At least they give you a chance.

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Good suggestions, I have always had the sticker on the back, but now have added the lock screen contact info. Thanks!

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All a good samaritan would have to do is hand me my iPad as I stand in his/her doorway asking for it and explaining how "Find My iPad works" :) :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All a good samaritan would have to do is hand me my iPad as I stand in his/her doorway asking for it and explaining how "Find My iPad works" :) :)

I have Find My iPhone on my iDevices, too, but don't count on it. It won't work if not online or it lacks juice, and sometimes the location is off. There's a thread this week with someone saying he/she couldn't find an iDevice despite searching someone's house for a lost or stolen iDevice after following the Find My iPhone signal, for example.

I know when I've tested several iDevices on my desk that Find My iPhone usually put one or two about a half-block away. And I know that was incorrect, because all were sitting in front of me and sending out the located sound.

Bill Salmon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found an iPod nano in a car park and listed it on lost and founds, tried the owners of the car park too.
Looked into the content and found some email addresses so mailed a note to them as well.
Still, no one comes forward to claim it. I also tried to connect with Apple to find the owner. Why would I need an iPod if I have the iPhone and iPad?
So, until then I am listening to the music content until the owner comes forward. I really want to give it to the owner. It's what I would want if I lost y stuff.

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
saphire said:
How do you put your name and address on the lock screen, it only asks for a four digit number.

Use Skitch or any photo app that adds a caption to put information on a photo that you then use for your lock screen. You do have to be sure the info is not covered by the number square.

Frawick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Czevski said:
Use Skitch or any photo app that adds a caption to put information on a photo that you then use for your lock screen. You do have to be sure the info is not covered by the number square.

Great idea. Thanx.

Moderator edit: The Name, address, and phone number is not allowed. Please re-read forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruckles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my iPad direct from Apple. This included a free option to engrave two lines of text on the back. I've got my name on the first line; house number and UK Post Code on the second line.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like a feature where you can make personal info scroll across the lock screen every few minutes, or on a timer you can set. I'd rather not see my personal info all the time, but clearly there is a need for it to show up. Or a feature where you can go online and tell the iPad to display contact info on the lock screen, once you discover you left it some place. Isnt' there some kind of "find my iPad" functionality already in place?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like a feature where you can make personal info scroll across the lock screen every few minutes, or on a timer you can set. I'd rather not see my personal info all the time, but clearly there is a need for it to show up. Or a feature where you can go online and tell the iPad to display contact info on the lock screen, once you discover you left it some place. Isnt' there some kind of "find my iPad" functionality already in place?

Find My iPhone lets you send a message to the device when you activate it after it's lost or stolen. That's been a feature for awhile. You can send whatever you want.

For the rotating info, you could use the slideshow feature -- just create one photo with your contact info.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts