What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how does the battery like this???

Spielor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi!
i am using an ipad in the dental surgery.
my idea is to have the pad on a stand like a monitor and use a mouse to controll it (jailbroken).
now if i do this and lets say the ipad stays on the whole day and gets taken off the stand for 5-10 minutes several times a day how does the batery react to this?
does every time i take it off and put it back a new loading cycle start?
does the battery get damaged if the ipad stands power on on the stand the whole day?
are there any other things that could damage (e.g. screen being on 8 hours a day)
i would like to play animations while it is not in use with patent data and show xryas, photos etc when using it with the patent

thanks for the help!

jens

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The kind of batteries found in moderen laptops including iPad like being discharged a little bit and charged again. As of whether a new cycle is started every time - I am not sure. The fact that ipads always fully charge their batteries is not optimal but currently there is no app to fix that.
I too myself find myself mostly plugged in and every now and then discharging my iPad to 90%. I have done the same to my laptops and their batteries last quite long. What uses them up the most is... We'll.... Using them.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think there are any definitive answers to these questions. Theoretically, the iPad has can give 10 hours of use with a full charge... on average. Supposedly, with these new breed of batteries, there is no harm done when using the iPad for short periods of time then topping it off.

Although these batteries do not have a memory issue like earlier rechargeable batteries, Apple still recommends letting the battery drain completely once a month or so and then letting it charge back up to 100%. This is more for re-calibrating the battery level indicator than for maintaining the battery.

OP
S

Spielor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok cool. that sounds good to me. if the batery is gone in 2 years or so there will be better technology to replace my ipad anyway. if it helps selling stuff in the surgery there shouldnt be a problem.

thanks for the answers

ohh i have another question. i have a belkin vue grip case. is there any dock that works with this case?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How did things go with the software developer?

There are magnetic battery chargers that don't require plugging in, you could look into that...one could be concealed in your stand. You could have a stand built around an Apple dock...

OP
S

Spielor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great idea!

this would be really nice so i could leave the pad in the case and easily take it off the stand if needed at the patient without having to connect / deconnect the charger. do you have any products or companies you know of which are relieable and good looking?

the progress with the developer seems to have slowed down. he said it wil take a while so i wont rush. i found a nice app (photo transfer app) which lets me send multiple pictures wirelessly which goes in the right direction already.

cheers

jens

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple only recommends that you discharge the iPad once a month or so. No worries.

OP
S

Spielor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe it is time to have a ipad solar charger,it is not only could solve your current problem,but also a backup battery for your ipad at anytime.

unfortunately there is not so much direct sunlight in the surgery. especially not in london / uk. the heaven here is usually greyish :(.
i have permanent access to a 230V plug. I was more worrying how the ipad likes to be on and used every day for a long period of time. in the end it is a consumer article and not really made for heavy 24/7 use.

Most reactions

Latest posts