What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does iPad stack up to competition?

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
old memories

I remember someone who paid $9,000 or $10,000 for a 5 megabyte hard drive in early 1980s. Things have changed

Sheepishly raising hand.... Um... Yeah, not quite that much $$, but I was one of those who paid huge $$ for a 5 MB drive.

Kilted Tim,

Well that being 30 years ago my amount may be off a thousand one way or another, but I know it was a huge amount of money and a huge device.

Can you imagine a terabyte of memory in the 2040 iPad, only in the DELUXE model though.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice to have the option of running flash. It would be nice to have a webcam. It would be nice to have a changeable battery/usb port/memory card slot.

Actually you will be able to plug in a usb device and sd card and if your battery fails to retain memory they will swap it out for $100....not too bad in my opinion.

There is no USB port. There is an optional adapter that will allow folks to connect to a memory card. No indication whether we'll have a general usb adapter for things, say, like a web cam :)

Lee

Well you knew there was a usb adapter, you just wanted to argue didnt you? ;)

If it can grab picks off a camera that means it will except any mass storage device. And that means it will be able to handle data thru a usb cable input...and seeing as how Apple just opened dev for the usb port for iphone accessories you will more than likely be able to add anything to it soon....how about a webcam that you just have to hold it upside down to use (remember it doesn't care about orientation.)

KiltedTim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kilted Tim,

Well that being 30 years ago my amount may be off a thousand one way or another, but I know it was a huge amount of money and a huge device.

Can you imagine a terabyte of memory in the 2040 iPad, only in the DELUXE model though.

Yep. It's pretty amazing, isn't it. Thinking back to the days of 8 MHz processors, trying to figure out how to break the 640K RAM ceiling, and even earlier... I remember buying a 'disk notcher' so I could punch another notch in the floppy disk sleeve and turn it over to use the other side! Scary, ain't it? And here we are asking questions like "will 16 GB be enough storage for my stuff?"

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kilted Tim,

Yep. It's pretty amazing, isn't it. Thinking back to the days of 8 MHz processors, trying to figure out how to break the 640K RAM ceiling, and even earlier... I remember buying a 'disk notcher' so I could punch another notch in the floppy disk sleeve and turn it over to use the other side! Scary, ain't it? And here we are asking questions like "will 16 GB be enough storage for my stuff?"

I remember when my friend with rich parents got a Vaio with a 1GB hard drive.....I was like...how are you EVER going to use a GB??? That is insane, it's like a billion floppys!!

My Mac Pro at home has 3TB of space....lol

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember someone who paid $9,000 or $10,000 for a 5 megabyte hard drive in early 1980s. Things have changed

Sheepishly raising hand.... Um... Yeah, not quite that much $$, but I was one of those who paid huge $$ for a 5 MB drive.

Kilted Tim,

Actually there are a few companies trying to make it possible by 2012.

NateEssex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember getting that new wizbang top of the line Windows computer, it was fast and could run all the new stuff, and you download this and install that and a year later, it takes longer to do anything and it starts crashing and freezing and just not working very well.

+1. I think you hit the nail on the head ;)

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It Would Be Interesting If Everyone that

...participated back in March on this thread would come back and comment on their use of the iPad. And what do they think of the iPad now.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my iPad for what I knew it could do, not for what I thought it could do or what features or capabilities I thought it should have. Therefore, I am just as happy with it now as I was the day FedEx rang my doorbell back in June.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...participated back in March on this thread would come back and comment on their use of the iPad. And what do they think of the iPad now.

Well I use my iPad as my home computer over 90% of the time. It does what I thought it would but am looking forward to the software update and the next generation of iPad.

One gripe is the syncing part, it would be nice to be able to drop a folder of files into my iPad from a sd card. Don't want to do programs just an easy way to access files.

Even though I chuckle a little when I hear new people on the list complain about the lack of Flash, there are a few sites that I really would like to be able to use Flash.

Most reactions

Latest posts