What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you see Apple killing Android forever ?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a techie, but I've owned devices with SSDs and without. I get that there's a performance tradeoff in some uses and that longer-term reliability is a factor (which is why my laptop has an SSD), but the discussion has moved into the weeds.

The point is that with Android's SD flexibility, you can easily add and remove content. Other than price points, there's no reason there couldn't be an Android device sold with 64GB storage (iOS's current max), plus SD card use, versus an iOS device with 64GB and no SD card flexibility. That boils down to Apple's own decisions to limit that sort of flexibility.

There's also wide variation in SD card performance, which is why I try to buy higher-classed SD cards, for better results. That's another price point to consider, of course.

Last edited:

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android will never die. competition is needed for healthy growth and products to become even better. I am completely satisfied with my transformer prime. everything works great and love the versatility of android. my ipad misses my attention though :( we had some great times but it was time to upgrade though.

p.s. my Prime is lag free. screen transitions are fluid and fast. everything is fast. so imo, prime doesnt fall into lag category like apple fans usually love to say about android.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You nailed. The key is, you cannot add micro sd card to iPad tablet and you can to Prime. All I am interested is:if I hit "play" does it "play" or not. kaykaykay, good post.

I read that Prime can accept some 128GB cards, which would be a boon to users who want lots of flex storage.

Prices get steeper with that much storage, but at least it's storage you can use in various devices. When it comes to loading stuff like movies and photos, I don't need them to be on my device's SSD for good performance.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What generation is your Galaxy Tab? What drawbacks do you find with it?

I'm considering buying a Samsung tab, and my uses would be vanilla -- what most non-tech users do with tabs (surfing, books, audiobooks, movies, music and photos). Easily adding Word/Office docs would be another plus. I would need 3G/4G.

It's first generation Galaxy Tab 7.7. I like the compactness, light weight and open hardware/software.

The iPad has a better screen but the Galaxy is perfectly adequate and my first choice fir the reasons stated.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's first generation Galaxy Tab 7.7. I like the compactness, light weight and open hardware/software.

The iPad has a better screen but the Galaxy is perfectly adequate and my first choice fir the reasons stated.

Thanks. No other drawbacks?

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is true. plus the fact that Prime has usb host capabilities takes it even further. people are plugging up 500gb & 1tb external HDD to dock usb port or to adapter(40pin to usb) and they work flawlessly without having to do anything extra. same with other usb devices. extra drivers can be easily added to prime. we even have ethernet support out the box now along with wifi direct.

i do miss messing with garageband and playing infinity blade 2 though. i got tired of being locked into apple and all their expensive add ons. One thing i can say is that my ipad is tuff. it has seen numerous falls and being stepped on and it still works and looks fine. Apple devices are well made.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DaveSt said:
Actually there are RAM form factor SSDs already available, just not widely in the consumer market. Form factor is meaningless, but generally when talking about actual SSDs the device has an interface to make it work with existing hard drive ready systems. Perhaps that exists in the ipad already albeit in a much reduced and lower performance form and I am mistaken. Anyhow this would make for an interesting topic into itself but is probably straying far from the path of the original topic.

Even though it strays I'd like to know where you were able to find performance figures for the iPad drive to compare it to other SSDs? I've been looking but cannot find...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is true. plus the fact that Prime has usb host capabilities takes it even further. people are plugging up 500gb & 1tb external HDD to dock usb port or to adapter(40pin to usb) and they work flawlessly without having to do anything extra. same with other usb devices. extra drivers can be easily added to prime. we even have ethernet support out the box now along with wifi direct.

i do miss messing with garageband and playing infinity blade 2 though. i got tired of being locked into apple and all their expensive add ons. One thing i can say is that my ipad is tuff. it has seen numerous falls and being stepped on and it still works and looks fine. Apple devices are well made.

Very cool. That kind of flexibility is what interests me most about Android devices.

I like my iDevices and agree they're well made. And when I dropped and shattered an iPhone 4, they offered me a free replacement, which I doubt any company but Amazon would match, even in isolated cases.

I don't play games, so I wouldn't miss many iOS apps even if I switched entirely away from iDevices.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. No other drawbacks?

You should check out the various screen sizes before you buy. I bought the 7.7" without looking at larger sizes (e.g. 8.9" ). I wouldn't want have chosen anything smaller.

Something that never comes up with is compatibilty of apps. The important apps don't seem to be a problem though.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should check out the various screen sizes before you buy. I bought the 7.7" without looking at larger sizes (e.g. 8.9" ). I wouldn't want have chosen anything smaller.

Something that never comes up with is compatibilty of apps. The important apps don't seem to be a problem though.

What kind of apps have you run into probs with? I've found all the ones I went looking for so far, but I use mainstream apps like Kindle, Audible, Netflix most on mobile devices.

I'd get a full-size Samsung tab more likely than a smaller one, because I have a Kindle Fire and the Galaxy Note.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What kind of apps have you run into probs with? I've found all the ones I went looking for so far, but I use mainstream apps like Kindle, Audible, Netflix most on mobile devices.

I'd get a full-size Samsung tab more likely than a smaller one, because I have a Kindle Fire and the Galaxy Note.

No problems with manstream apps. I have had problems with news/magazine apps, The Economist snd The Australian. I had apps for both on the iPad and, while there are equivalent Android apps, they don't work on my Galaxy Tab 7.7. I now access news sites directly. I am not sure why apps were ever necessary for news anyway.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems with manstream apps. I have had problems with news/magazine apps, The Economist snd The Australian. I had apps for both on the iPad and, while there are equivalent Android apps, they don't work on my Galaxy Tab 7.7. I now access news sites directly. I am not sure why apps were ever necessary for news anyway.

Thanks. Yes, I read my subscriptions to The Economist, NYT, etc., on their websites, too. Agreed on no need for such apps.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
RAC said:
I have iPad 1 and Galaxy Tab 7.7 so I am in a good position to compare.

Galaxy pros:-
Smaller lighter and more portable. The iPad feels bulky and heavy when I go back to it.
Open file system.
Micro SD card.
USB connectvity. Copy files to/from USB stick.
GPS on WiFi only device.
No iTunes.

iPad pros:-
There times when a lager screen is necessary (e.g. when using SplahTop).
I feel a bit safer usng the iPad secure transactions, probably not justified.
While the Galaxy display is quite good, the iPad display is somehow better (even iPad 1).

I agree. I have the galaxy 7 plus. I like the size and weight. Very compact. I like having the ability to add files using the sd card. I use it mostly when I am on my ipad and cant pull up something because of the flash issue. Then I just use my tab. I can carry it around in my purse with no problem. Its great.

My Ipad is my go to device, because I am just so much more familiar with it. I am still getting adjusted to android devices. I enjoy having both. But then, I am a gadget person!!

Most reactions

Latest posts