What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do You PRINT a Document You Have Prepared on the iPad?

drpep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new Hp office jet 6500 wireless e printer and with the new update I can print directly to the printer without my windows xp turned on.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the most relevant answer ive read. Some answers are referring to a jb ipad. I went out and bought an hp eprint however b4 that i used the email to myself option. There is no stand alone option with the ipad.

Installing Airprint under Windows has nothing to do with jailbreaking. The hack being referred to deals with manually installing Airprint in Windows. It really is very easy to do .. takes all of 5 minutes and you can print to any shared printer.

cadams05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hack not a jail break

Thanks for clarifying that. Interesting, so if what you are saying is true im still within my 30 days at best buy on the new printer which i purchased for this reason i will try it out and make sure i can get it configured to work. Can u elaborate a little more on how to do this in general, where to start. I dont mid researching a bit to work out the details but not sure where to get started.

Thanks

This is the most relevant answer ive read. Some answers are referring to a jb ipad. I went out and bought an hp eprint however b4 that i used the email to myself option. There is no stand alone option with the ipad.

Installing Airprint under Windows has nothing to do with jailbreaking. The hack being referred to deals with manually installing Airprint in Windows. It really is very easy to do .. takes all of 5 minutes and you can print to any shared printer.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How is it that the AirPrint software says it's from Apple (at least in the screenshots linked from LifeHacker), but it's not on Apple's site?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How is it that the AirPrint software says it's from Apple (at least in the screenshots linked from LifeHacker), but it's not on Apple's site?

From what I have gathered, Airprint for Windows was enabled in beta versions of Itunes but was removed from the final release when iOS 4.2.1 came out. Some people that were running the Beta found where the Airprint service was installed and made those files available for download. So, the software is from Apple but it is no longer part of the current Itunes download.

The "hack" part of the process comes in because you cannot just simply unzip those files on your hard drive and expect Windows to know how to use them. This requires executing a couple of commands from a dos box in Windows and then all is good.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that. Interesting, so if what you are saying is true im still within my 30 days at best buy on the new printer which i purchased for this reason i will try it out and make sure i can get it configured to work. Can u elaborate a little more on how to do this in general, where to start. I dont mid researching a bit to work out the details but not sure where to get started.

Thanks

Well, there is a rub to the solution many of us are using. If you want to use Airprint with a "non-supported" printer then it needs to be a shared printer. This means that it needs to be connected to a computer that is powered on (and presumably not in sleep mode for many older computers) and shared. If this isn't a problem for you then I would say you can safely return the new printer and simply use what you have now. With your new printer I am guessing that it does not need to be connected and shared on a Windows PC to work.

My printers are both connected to my low power Windows Home Server which is powered on 24/7 so this solution is fine for me.

For some reason people are not providing links to the solution so I have to assume that is off-limits. I will be happy to help over PM however.

Speedster00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a canon MP series wireless printer, and there is an App called easy photo print that prints to those network connected wireless Canon printers. I have the App, but have yet to actually try it. ...but it suposedly works.

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
at home I use the airprint feature

however at work I use the (see link below)

iPad ? Print Files From Anywhere Using Your Dropbox

works slick to print to whatever printer you have set to your default printer

Thanks very much. I have bookmarked this link and, as soon as I can located a suitable word processor and figure out how to get it onto my iPad, I will give it a shot. (I have had difficulty getting iWorks to download.)

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what are you guys saying - that you simply cannot print something directly from a standalone iPad, by hooking it up with a wireless printer?

What do you do, then? Export somewhere and print from there? Talk to me - I know virtually nothing about an iPad, except that I love it. (Only had it four days.)

Mike ~ I write all my reports in Pages and then I email them to myself, and print them from my desk top.

Super fast, and easy.:)

i havent downloaded pages yet but i plan on it, but you said u email after you create, does it give u the option inside of pages to email? is that how u do it? the airprint windows hack i posted is a joke, i cant get past certain part of the instructions and noone responds to it when i post questions on the link!!!

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i havent downloaded pages yet but i plan on it, but you said u email after you create, does it give u the option inside of pages to email? is that how u do it? the airprint windows hack i posted is a joke, i cant get past certain part of the instructions and noone responds to it when i post questions on the link!!!

Maybe some one here can answer your questions. If on Windows, make sure you run CMD as an administer. That's about the only problem I have heard about.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what are you guys saying - that you simply cannot print something directly from a standalone iPad, by hooking it up with a wireless printer?

What do you do, then? Export somewhere and print from there? Talk to me - I know virtually nothing about an iPad, except that I love it. (Only had it four days.)

Mike ~ I write all my reports in Pages and then I email them to myself, and print them from my desk top.

Super fast, and easy.:)

8ecdbaf7.png

Here are your options.

Most reactions

Latest posts