What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do You PRINT a Document You Have Prepared on the iPad?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need an app, although there probably is one.

Just hold your home button and power button down together. You will here like a camera sound. The picture will be in your saved photos library.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
geezzzz did u write the instructions for this thing or did u read them like alot of us probably havent!!! u know too much! ha

ShelbyWright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm so confused! Will someone please take pity on me and spell out my options for printing from my iPad if I am a Windows user? :)

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use windows and I bought the print central app....set your email account in the app and u can print any of your emails as well as webpages....instruction for the app was simple and it found my hp printer jus fine that's on my home wireless network.....then I bought the pages app.....type ip documents and send them to my email from.pages....open my email within the print central app and hit print! Tada!!

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screenshot is your friend!

So, you have typed up a note in the Note app, or perhaps a document in iWorks or a spread sheet - and now you want to PRINT it.

How do you print something you have prepared on the iPad?

We opeerate on a wireless network at home and have a wireless/Bluetooth printer. That going to be good enough? (Why do I have the feeling it won't?)

I was going to say that you need an AirPrint compatible printer (mostly HP ePrint series at the moment) but it looks like the Note app doesn't have an option to print at the moment. I assume that there will be a fix.

To print virtually anything on the iPad, take a screenshot!

Press the home button(the circular button, for those who weren't sure) and the sleep button(the button on the top of your iPad) at the same time. Voila! A image of whatever you were looking at is in your photos app, ready to be printed.

Download a free copy of Photoshop Express for some quick import from photos editing. Hit save from PS Express to save modified image. Tap the share/print button. Done.

Edit: just noticed that sweet poison beat me to posting the same thing. :)

ShelbyWright

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use windows and I bought the print central app....set your email account in the app and u can print any of your emails as well as webpages....instruction for the app was simple and it found my hp printer jus fine that's on my home wireless network.....then I bought the pages app.....type ip documents and send them to my email from.pages....open my email within the print central app and hit print! Tada!!
Thanks so much! I was so worried I was going to have to jailbreak my iPad (sorry if I didn't use that term quite right haha) and I absolutely did NOT want to do that because I've heard it terminates the warranty. Not sure if that is true or not but I'm not willing to take the chance! Thanks again!

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ actually Apple can tell if it's been jail broken if it is brought into the store that way, but they will still take care of your iPad as long as the proper OS is reinstalled prior to being taken care of under warranty :)

If the original OS is reinstalled before bringing it in to an Apple store, it should be undetectable if it was ever jail broken.

(for as long as your warranty is active of course- the iPad comes with a one year warranty from the original day of purchase, unless Apple care is added within the first year, which extends the warranty to two years from the original purchase date.)

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just Google "Airprint any printer". It is a hack for sure, but I am able to print on my HP 5L laser (purchased in 1996) as well as my HP 2410 ink jet printer (probably close to 10 years old). As long as your app supports Airprint, you should be able to print it on any shared printer with a little work.

Perhaps it is the old curmudgeon in me, but, I think one should be able to write in Pages, correct the errors, and press a print button. The iPad then sends the print job to a WiFi printer and out it comes.

Gosh Almighty, doesn't Jobs understand that some of us crazier folks might actually want to print from the iBloody iThing?

Sour grapes on my part, but the Apple web site talks about how great the iPad is for business. Fog Gobblins... any device promoted as a great too for business should allow printing without iTunes sync, third party software, or other hacks.

Can anyone confirm that the ability to print directly was removed by Apple at the last moment? I do not want to accuse, but if so, shame on you, Jobs.

Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So what are you guys saying - that you simply cannot print something directly from a standalone iPad, by hooking it up with a wireless printer?

What do you do, then? Export somewhere and print from there? Talk to me - I know virtually nothing about an iPad, except that I love it. (Only had it four days.)

Yup. That's about it.

I found one work around solution on the App Store, but I still need my PC on and connected to WiFi.

Unless I am missing something, there are no simple solutions. And I am certainly willing to accept that I might be missing something.

I did a few Google searches for "AirPrint to any Printer" but I get either dead links, solutions that run only on a Mac, or in one case, a warning that the software has been removed at Apple's request.

That is why I patiently await a Jailbreak. Perhaps there is a solution that allows one to simply press a print button from any application one would naturally assume one would want to print from.

Bob Maxey

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just Google "Airprint any printer". It is a hack for sure, but I am able to print on my HP 5L laser (purchased in 1996) as well as my HP 2410 ink jet printer (probably close to 10 years old). As long as your app supports Airprint, you should be able to print it on any shared printer with a little work.

Perhaps it is the old curmudgeon in me, but, I think one should be able to write in Pages, correct the errors, and press a print button. The iPad then sends the print job to a WiFi printer and out it comes.

Gosh Almighty, doesn't Jobs understand that some of us crazier folks might actually want to print from the iBloody iThing?

Sour grapes on my part, but the Apple web site talks about how great the iPad is for business. Fog Gobblins... any device promoted as a great too for business should allow printing without iTunes sync, third party software, or other hacks.

Can anyone confirm that the ability to print directly was removed by Apple at the last moment? I do not want to accuse, but if so, shame on you, Jobs.

Bob Maxey

I completely agree with you Bob, I was just throwing out the solution that has worked for me. Like everything else this is starting to smell like a money making scheme. Want to print from your iThing? We have some really cool new printers for you to buy, step on over here. Although in truth I have to think printer driver issues might be problematic on a device like the iPad. The driver work really needs to be done by the printer itself.

And on an off-topic note, I believe this is the first time I have ever heard the term "Fog Gobblins" but I plan on adding it to my vocabulary immediately!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not wanting to create another thread about the same topic, I will simply post here.

I am trying to get AirPrint to work and have an HP Photosmart D5160 hooked up to an Airport Express. The HP iPrint app can print wirelessly, but I cannot print directly from apps like Numbers/Pages, as it says "No printer found".

Am I missing something here? I had assumed that using an A - E as a connector would solve the printing nightmare, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not wanting to create another thread about the same topic, I will simply post here.

I am trying to get AirPrint to work and have an HP Photosmart D5160 hooked up to an Airport Express. The HP iPrint app can print wirelessly, but I cannot print directly from apps like Numbers/Pages, as it says "No printer found".

Am I missing something here? I had assumed that using an A - E as a connector would solve the printing nightmare, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

That doesn't appear to be a supported printer. If you go to the bottom of the page here Apple - iPad - AirPrint you will see what printers are supported at this time.

Most reactions