What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I shuffle random songs on my iPad2??

GaryL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad2 five days ago. I synced with my PC to copy all of my iTunes songs on my iPad2. On my PC, when I open iTunes, I can go to my Purchased list of songs and randomly put a check mark to, say, five or six unrelated songs (i.e., not from the same CD or performer) and iTunes will then play those songs. Most importantly, the check marks next to all of those songs will remain visible.

But I can't figure out how to do that on my iPad2. If I open up the iPod icon on my iPad2 and go to my list of Purchased songs, when I check on one song, the check mark will show next to it. But if I try to check a second song, the check mark for the first song will disappear and the check mark will then appear next to the second song, which will then start playing. In other words, only will check mark at a time will ever be visible. And the last song I check off is the one that will play first. But then the next song to play will not be one of the other four or five songs I checked off. Instead, the next song to play will be the one on my Purchased list that is immediately below the song that just played, and the songs will keep playing in sequential order like that instead of playing the particular five or six songs I wanted it to play.

I read a lot of e-books and like to listen to my songs when I do so. But the way things are now, I have to go to iPod, check off a song to play, go back to iBooks, read until that song finishes, then go back to iPod and check off another song. Thus, I have to keep interrupting my reading every time a song finishes.

I have tried the Shuffle button at the top of my Purchased list of songs but that does not do the trick. I'm basically trying to get iTunes/iPod on my iPad2 to work the way it does on my computer. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to shuffle all songs on your iPad got to Music > Songs tab at the bottom > two finger pull/swipe-down. This will show the shuffle menu.

There is no "check box" like button in the iPod App to turn songs on and off. Unless you specify specifically that a song is never to shuffle in iTunes on your computer they will all play.

The way to limit the shuffle selection is to create a custom playlist and shuffle that. Press the + button lower left. You will the be asked to name it and be show the selection screen. You can sort by the Tabs at the bottom. You can also press the source button in the upper left and use an existing play list to select songs from.

I do this all the time on my iPod, make custom playlist based on other playlist I already have with songs I listen to frequently.

Hope that helps you.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dorje said:
If you want to shuffle all songs on your iPad got to Music > Songs tab at the bottom > two finger pull/swipe-down. This will show the shuffle menu.

Is there a way to get it to show the songs in shuffled order? I'd like to be able to go to some particular song in the shuffled order and have it start playing there.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Short answer, no.
It won't sort like iTunes can. Playlist are in the order you put them in.

Long-way round, you can start playing a song. Its album art will show up in the lower left. Click on that to see it full screen. Tap once to bring up the player controls. To the right of the track timeline there is a shuffle icon. Press this to begin shuffling *after* the song that is currently playing. (It's a hell of a lot easier on an actual iPod Touch.)

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dorje said:
Short answer, no.
It won't sort like iTunes can. Playlist are in the order you put them in.

Long-way round, you can start playing a song. Its album art will show up in the lower left. Click on that to see it full screen. Tap once to bring up the player controls. To the right of the track timeline there is a shuffle icon. Press this to begin shuffling *after* the song that is currently playing. (It's a hell of a lot easier on an actual iPod Touch.)

Thanks. That will work though I'd rather have the sort. Guess you can't have everything.

mikespeight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An easier way to shuffle your music - with the songs listed alphabetically, drag the list down and this should show the option to shuffle (hidden away) - unfortunately this will not show the playlist.

Most reactions