What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I remove things from "Photos"?

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I have a folder of videos in "Photos" that I no longer require in iPad Air memory.
That folder no longer exists on my PC and it is not listed for syncing.
How do I get rid of it?

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the folder doesn't exist any more on your computer, sync your iPad to iTunes. This should remove the folder.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the Photos app, when you are the main Folder view, if you press Edit in the upper right, does that folder then get an "x" in the upper left? Like this:

e2a8egus.jpg

If an "x" appears, you can delete the folder on the iPad. Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll have to do the steps as outlined by J.A.

Marilyn

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the folder doesn't exist any more on your computer, sync your iPad to iTunes. This should remove the folder.
Hi Johanna

I tried that first but it made no difference. Then I followed the instructions in the email from you:
To delete synced photos and videos from your device
  1. In iTunes, click the Device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper-right corner first.)
  2. Click the Photos tab in the resulting window.
  3. Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections you want to delete.
    Note: To delete all synced photos, deselect "Sync Photos from" and, when asked, click "Remove photos."
  4. Click Apply.
including deleting all synced photos. This dutifully removed all my image and video folders from the "Photos" folder. Then I resynced them back in with the controls set thus:
_iTunes_Sync_Photos.jpg

The folder "Videos" I want to get rid of no longer exists on my PC and is not checked here. However, when I resync it reappears (with contents) in the "Photos" folder on my iPad Air.:eek:

That's right. "Videos" no longer exists on my PC, and I haven't referenced it in the Photo Sync, but it reloads.

Anyone have any suggestions (that do not involve throwing out either the PC or the iPad ;))?
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Deselect the unwanted folders or turn off Photo syncing altogether, then re-sync the iPad. That should remove the unwanted folders, or all synced photos/videos. Whichever you prefer.

You can then choose a new master folder and start over; if you still want photos synced through iTunes. If you have a lot of photos, try syncing a folder or two at a time. That can help prevent unwanted errors and having to start over again.

Anyway, that's what I would try.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It sounds like the folder still exists on the computer.

Did the video folder go away when you synced with the Photos syncing turned off (unchecked)?

It wouldn't hurt to turn off the include videos checkbox, if you haven't already done so.

Try changing folder/location on the very first line, where it says "Sync Photos From (PCiPad)". Try pointing it to an empty folder.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That worked fine - new base folder on PC to sync from, subfolders with new names.:)

Well ... it worked fine until I tried it with "Include Videos" checked. :cool:

You guessed it! :rolleyes: That "Videos" folder on the iPad reappeared. :eek:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And the videos are still in the folder, and playable?

That is beyond strange.

I'll keep mulling it over, but I don't have any more ideas right now.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Johanna

I tried that first but it made no difference. Then I followed the instructions in the email from you:
To delete synced photos and videos from your device
  1. In iTunes, click the Device button in the upper right corner. (If viewing the iTunes Store, click the Library button in the upper-right corner first.)...
Interesting. I didn't send you an email, but this was my first answer here, and then I deleted it and wrote the reply that's visible now. Do you get email notifications when somebody answers your posts?

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And the videos are still in the folder, and playable?

That is beyond strange.

I'll keep mulling it over, but I don't have any more ideas right now.

Hi twerpoet
Here's to mull :)

If there are no MP4s (or similar) in other image folders which I Sync to iPad the folder "Videos" disappears (assuming I don't have a folder named "Videos" with MP4s in it on my PC). Put an MP4 in a snapshot folder on the PC and it turns up there on the iPad AND the folder "Videos" reappears with a copy of it.

I would refer to that as "iLogical" or something similar, but it happens. But then, I don't speak Apple o_O

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the album videos is only showing the files you put in the video folder (not the old files you could not get rid of earlier), then I'm inclined to thing the Photos app is automatically creating a logical album for video files; so you can find them more easily.

Ok, I just confirmed this.

I took a video on my iPad, and the video shows up in an Album called Videos. It also shows up in the Camera Roll album, where I expect it.

So, the Videos album is just a way for the Photos app to make your videos easier to find. It probably shows all video files in the Photos app, no matter where how they were originally added to the app.

They won't be duplicates, just another place you can get to them from.

If you are still finding the older videos in the Photos' Videos album, I recommend taking a close look at the Camera Roll, or other albums you synced. The videos are probably hiding in those albums/folder.

Good luck.

I learned something to day. I'd never noticed the Videos album before. I always go to the Camera Roll, by habit, when looking for recently taken or imported videos.

Thanks.

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you're sure they won't be duplicates. I was going to ask that.

Just thought I'd mention what I found to wrap up the thread.

Cheers!
Keep up the good work.

Most reactions

Latest posts