What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I pass content from my iPad to a new unit?

tatismonroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I curently have the iPad 1 but plan on upgrading to the iPad 3 once it comes out... My question is regarding the data & Apps... Can I copy my content to the new one easilly or will I loose the apps I purchased?, hope if someone can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks in Advance,

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sync your current iPad with iTunes then when you get your new iPad iTunes will ask if you want to set it up from the previous back-up, just choose that and when you open it up it will be exactly as the old one. I can vouch for this as I did it successfully between my iPad 1 and iPad 2.

The Archangel

OP
T

tatismonroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Sync your current iPad with iTunes then when you get your new iPad iTunes will ask if you want to set it up from the previous back-up, just choose that and when you open it up it will be exactly as the old one. I can vouch for this as I did it successfully between my iPad 1 and iPad 2.

The Archangel

Thank you!

OP
T

tatismonroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you!, I just wanted to make sure.... As the guy i'm selling it to is anxious to get his iPad 1..

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great. I had issues upgrading my gen 1 to IOS 5 but restored apps from "purchased" area in app store--and was surprised to see content there. About 1/2 didn't transfer cleanly but I had backed up a lot of content in Dropbox so was prepared. Of course some content isn't possible to backup to Dropbox like my Paprika recipe app but it now has own cloud backup--luckily. I have pennies in hand waiting for Ipad 3 LOL. Even bought an app (Avid video) at intro price that won't function on Ipad 1.

So now wondering if transferring data to Ipad 3 from restore will also restore photos in Photo app (and thus some other photo apps). I remember reading before IOS 5 and more recent Itunes versions that photos were not backed up. Is this still so and if so what to do about it? Of course all my photos are also on my PC in a data base but I sure would hate to have to transfer what I want on my Ipad back again.

Then second question. I am going to keep my Ipad 1 to replace my aging Touch for music and especially for Rhapsody, both for in house playing on various stereo systems (and Apple TV) but also for Rhapsody downloads to play in car (better battery life esp., easier to add music and make playlists on bigger screen). So, I want to wipe the 1 and I assume reinstall the Rhapsody app and then redownload all the music I have on my Touch to the Ipad. Any thoughts as to order doing this?--I assume backup One to Itunes, restore Ipad 3 via Itunes, then do a reset on Ipad 1 and reinstall Rhapsody app.

Can't wait for 3. I have 64 GB wifi only and use mobile hot spot on husband's Palm Pre (it was free when I bought Ipad) for travel but know now that having Ipad with 3G on its own makes more sense. He's keeping his Ipad one but getting Iphone to replace the Pre so I will lose mobile shot spot anyhow LOL--and its not always available when I need it.

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I suggest signing up for Apple's iCloud. Having that account has made migrating from the iPad1 to the iPad2 a really easy process. For example having iCloud enabled, when I'm in Pages or Numbers, Good Reader, Forscore--apps that access iCloud--all documents stored on either iPad, are instantly updated when changes are made.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything on my iPads was the same when I synced my new iPad with the exception that I had to put the wifi password in......photos, music, notes, everything.

I have kept my iPad 1 as well, once I was certain that my iPad 2 was set up as it should be I gave them different names in iTunes which allows me to treat my iPads completely differently, so I can restore my iPad 1 if I want without affecting my iPad 2.

Hopefully that helps......good luck!

The Archangel

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I have Iclouds enabled and Goodreader and Pages are backed up (but i have it backed up on Dropbox too) but though I have Pages I prefer Office HD and its not Icloud integrated. Lots of other apps too like Notability, Noteshelf, etc. that aren't Icloud backed up (though integrated with Dropbox). The unfortunate part of Icloud and Windows is that unless you have Outlook (and the last time I bought Office I bought Home/student version without Outlook which I never used. To add it to access Icloud from PC it would mean buying it which I'm not willing to do. Dropbox is an easier solution for access from all my devices) you can't share content with PC. That's where the Mac folks have it much better for sharing across devices.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel, I have my current one listed as Dianes Ipad. I was planning on Dianes Ipad 3 since there is also a Davids Ipad--and he has separate Apple ID so we can use Imessaging separately and our Photostreams don't merge, though I have mine turned off until IOS 5.1 which I understand will allow deletion of selected photos (I do a lot of screen prints for little tutes for friends plus of receipts, etc. so don't want those in photostream).

I have to assume all will transfer correctly since I can't believe Apple wouldn't make it anything but relatively easy. I know my apps are easy to reinstall from purchased area in app store if any problems so my only big concern was if photos are also restored when adding the new Ipad.

I should add a thank you to all. I've loved my Ipad 1 since I got it right after it came out--I use my computers much differently now. Still I am looking forward to 3 since I know things will work much better but then 3rd generation would be expected to--no complaints about 1 and it will continue to serve me well in a different capacity.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts