What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I free-up some space?

Reaction score
Besides clearing history and cookies & data, is there any way I can do routine maintenance (like on a PC or laptop) to free up some space? Thanks.
Edit: I haven't upgraded and don't plan to. I'm not a gamer, either. Just thought this info might help when you answer.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Besides clearing history and cookies & data, is there any way I can do routine maintenance (like on a PC or laptop) to free up some space? Thanks.
Edit: I haven't upgraded and don't plan to. I'm not a gamer, either. Just thought this info might help when you answer.

Well, you really have not helped much - I'm assuming you have an iPad 2 and you do not want to upgrade the iOS - correct? But, what iOS is now installed; also, what storage capacity is in your iPad and how much space is left; finally, what is taking up the larger portions of storage - the latter would be areas to 'trim down' - shown below is the 'Storage Management' on my iPad Air 2 (iOS 9.2) - since I don't know which iOS you have on your device, not sure how you would find the same information - so, start there and let us know. Another option to evaluate storage is to plug into iTunes and look @ the storage bar. Dave :)

P.S. thus, if I wanted to 'free up' some storage, I would concentrate on reducing the size of those top half dozen items or so.
IMG_4517.PNG

OP
B
Reaction score
I can clear data. I do have a lot of apps and probably don't use 3/4s of them. I may delete some of them. Recently, I had my granddaughter delete apps she used as a small child before she got her own ipad2. I don't have music downloaded on this device but I do have several pictures and a few short videos. No movies.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can clear data. I do have a lot of apps and probably don't use 3/4s of them. I may delete some of them. Recently, I had my granddaughter delete apps she used as a small child before she got her own ipad2. I don't have music downloaded on this device but I do have several pictures and a few short videos. No movies.

Hello again - would still like to know which iOS is installed, how much storage is in your device (e.g. 16 GB, 32 GB or 64 GB), and how much is left? If you can go into settings and find a storage management option, then you can see what is taking up your storage (as in my screen capture). BUT, if you have a LOT of old apps that are no longer used, then simply delete them and re-check your storage. Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
giradman, correct.
Version 7.1.2
I was mistaken. There are 69 songs but I can delete them since I've transferred them to another device.
Oh. . .maybe I don't need to be concerned about storage space. I just saw that my storage available is 39.6 and storage used is 18.3.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
giradman, correct.
Version 7.1.2
I was mistaken. There are 69 songs but I can delete them since I've transferred them to another device.
Oh. . .maybe I don't need to be concerned about storage space. I just saw that my storage available is 39.6 and storage used is 18.3.

OK - thanks; you have a 64 GB iPad 2 (my first iPad bought in spring 2011 but w/ 32 GB) - you have plenty of space to actually add more songs, if wanted and other items; but certainly if you are not using apps, then delete them and clean up your home screens so it's easier to find & select those that you still use. Dave :)

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have 30 GB free you're in great shape. Mine is a 16 GB AND I'm happy with 4 GB free.

Most reactions

Latest posts