What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I enable smart cover ?

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cannot find the setting for this anywhere on the Ipad 3. Wondering if it's because I did a restore from my Ipad 1 onto the 3 when I first got it, Would that in effect delete that option from the settings? Shouldnt do should it? Looked under "General" in settings and "Enable smart cover" is not there. Anyone help?

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cannot find the setting for this anywhere on the Ipad 3. Wondering if it's because I did a restore from my Ipad 1 onto the 3 when I first got it, Would that in effect delete that option from the settings? Shouldnt do should it? Looked under "General" in settings and "Enable smart cover" is not there. Anyone help?

As Far as I know I dont think u need to go through any extra settings in your iPad to enable your Smart Cover !! Not sure what u r talking about ?

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, In the user manual for 5.1 and on the apple website you can turn the enablemeent of the smart cover on and off under General settings. Either way Mines not working, But also I do not have a genuine apple smart cover so that may be the problem. Can someone possibly check their settings for me on an Ipad 3 see if there's any mention of such a setting? Be very grateful.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the general settings app, about half way down on the right, it says iPad cover lock/unlock - on/off.

Perhaps it's because you haven't got an official apple cover maybe

Oh so there is something in Settings then ? I didnt know that ! Ok !

OP
No1zeppelinfan

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the general settings app, about half way down on the right, it says iPad cover lock/unlock - on/off.

Perhaps it's because you haven't got an official apple cover maybe

Ah thanks. Thats the one. Works ok as I tried a small magnet, So its my case. Least it's not the Ipad. Thanks so much.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's an article floating round somewhere about random compatibility problems between old smart covers and new iPads. If I remember right, this is how it goes.

The first iPad and Smart Cover magnets and sensors were not polarity sensitive. This occasionally cause problems when you flipped some third party covers all the way around to the back of iPad. To get around this Apple has apparently made the new iPad's sensor polarity sensitive. It matters which way the magnet is oriented in the cover.

Because it did not matter with the iPad 2, there was probably no process in the manufacturing of Smart Coves to place the magnet one way or the other. So some covers have the magnets polarity one way, and others the other. That makes for unpredictable behavior of an older cover with a new iPad.

Supposedly the newer covers (since they changed the model number and little else) are constructed with a standard polarity.

Most reactions

Latest posts