What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i block messages on my hotmail account with my ipad 2

Dave Jarvis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having a problem with blocking messages from entering my in box on my hotmail account with my ipad 2 is there a way to do it.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way I know to block messages is to do that via your account on the Hotmail web site. The iPad only mirrors what's on the server, you can't make it separate emails coming in to the Mail app. So, if you can find a way to stop it at the web site - that's how you'll need to do.

And sorry, I don't have/use Hotmail, so I can't be more specific than that. Hopefully, someone will come along to add more details...

Marilyn

OP
D

Dave Jarvis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way I know to block messages is to do that via your account on the Hotmail web site. The iPad only mirrors what's on the server, you can't make it separate emails coming in to the Mail app. So, if you can find a way to stop it at the web site - that's how you'll need to do.

And sorry, I don't have/use Hotmail, so I can't be more specific than that. Hopefully, someone will come along to add more details...

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn, I already do that on my computer however I use the ipad nearly 100% of the time, hopefully someone will come on with a way round it. Thanks Again, Dave.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, I already do that on my computer however I use the ipad nearly 100% of the time, hopefully someone will come on with a way round it. Thanks Again, Dave.

Hi Dave - welcome to the forum! :) I'm not understanding your statement in bold above, i.e. if you have setup your Hotmail account to screen messages not wanted, then iPad Mail will simply log into that account and download the same messages that you would see if viewing from your computer - the 'blocked' messages on the web site should not be sent to your iPad. Now, I use Yahoo Mail which is my iPad account and the spam blocking that I have setup there prevents the mail from being sent to my device; SO, just a little confused why your 'blocked' messages on the Hotmail website are apparently still reaching your Ipad? Dave

OP
D

Dave Jarvis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave - welcome to the forum! :) I'm not understanding your statement in bold above, i.e. if you have setup your Hotmail account to screen messages not wanted, then iPad Mail will simply log into that account and download the same messages that you would see if viewing from your computer - the 'blocked' messages on the web site should not be sent to your iPad. Now, I use Yahoo Mail which is my iPad account and the spam blocking that I have setup there prevents the mail from being sent to my device; SO, just a little confused why your 'blocked' messages on the Hotmail website are apparently still reaching your Ipad? Dave

I want to block messages I have viewed on my ipad for hotmail. I know you can block them on your PC when viewing your account, but not on the ipad. Is there any way I can block messages when on the ipad?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. The iPad only shows what is on the server; it is like a mirror, reflecting what is in your account on the web There is no way to block any e-mails via the iPad. It all has to be done on the server.

Marilyn

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having a problem with blocking messages from entering my in box on my hotmail account with my ipad 2 is there a way to do it.

You need to create rules on your hotmail account to filter content. Spam etc, and then sync.
If this is your primary email, switch to something GMAIL or Yahoo.
I have all 3 but my hotmail is my disposable email account, and I use gmail for like bill paying and yahoo for
Social stuff, Facebook LinkedIn.

Btw hotmail is horrible for spam. I swear they sell your addresses to spammers

HTH
Mike

ByakkoChan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there; this is my first post, and I hope it doesn't come off as negative, because I see it more humorously than critically.

I realize this thread is 2+ years old, and I apologize if I'm breaking with forum policies by dredging it up, but since I came here with exactly the same question, I find it odd that nobody actually understood the question enough to suggest an answer to it. If I understand correctly, the question is: Is it possible, using the iPad and a browser (not a mail-reading app) to log into your hotmail account and manipulate it in order to block a sender? If so, then how?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems to me that the post by Mickey 330 above explains the solution well. You can, using your browser, enter into your Internet Provider's internet address and thereby its email facility, or the original email account providing that facility, to remove an email there. Your iPad will then show it's gone as it is "mirroring" what is no longer there on your base email account.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

ByakkoChan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it really doesn't though; and granted, Mickey330's pointed out that he(?)'s not a user of hotmail, and so has no specific information; but the problem in this case is that when you log in using your iPad (at least with Safari), it doesn't seem to give the options which it would to the computer, so you can't easily block a sender from within the system; you would need to log into your PC and block the sender, then return to the iPad to go on with your browsing. I haven't experimented much yet, since I only ran into the problem recently, but my suspicion is that it has to do with the mobile site being different from the primary site, and so my guess is that you would need to specifically tell the iPad not to download that mobile version of the site. I was here hoping to find someone who could confirm my guess, but there seemed to be no satisfactory resolution to this situation.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, it really doesn't though; and granted, Mickey330's pointed out that he(?)'s not a user of hotmail, and so has no specific information; but the problem in this case is that when you log in using your iPad (at least with Safari), it doesn't seem to give the options which it would to the computer, so you can't easily block a sender from within the system; you would need to log into your PC and block the sender, then return to the iPad to go on with your browsing. I haven't experimented much yet, since I only ran into the problem recently, but my suspicion is that it has to do with the mobile site being different from the primary site, and so my guess is that you would need to specifically tell the iPad not to download that mobile version of the site. I was here hoping to find someone who could confirm my guess, but there seemed to be no satisfactory resolution to this situation.
You're right about the assumption that Safari on te iPad shows a mobile website by default when you login to Outlook.

There's a workaround, though. When you scroll down to the bottom of your email list when logged in, you'll find the possbility to use the desktop site:
image.jpeg

Most reactions

Latest posts