What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How cool is home sharing!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only noticed how this worked last night, I think it's great!

How does it work if you've got two computers? Can i share the same library?

I think it would be good if we could share our Friends iTunes library as well, maybe with the icloud this may become possible!

I used to do this with orblive, my mate did a bit of medical testing so was cooped up in a hospital, so I could email my mate a link and he could access my iTunes library, and my video library, quite cool.

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you file share at home? I have a desktop PC and since I have the iPad I no longer use it online. Unwound like to share files vis wifi at times. Tried Splashtop and couldn't get it to see my computer. I did everything with my firewall I could think of doing and nothing worked.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I only noticed how this worked last night, I think it's great!

How does it work if you've got two computers? Can i share the same library?

I think it would be good if we could share our Friends iTunes library as well, maybe with the icloud this may become possible!

I used to do this with orblive, my mate did a bit of medical testing so was cooped up in a hospital, so I could email my mate a link and he could access my iTunes library, and my video library, quite cool.

If you have two computers and install iTunes on both you can share your library. I doubt strongly if you will ever see sharing between accounts. The music industry would REALLY not like that.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How do you file share at home? I have a desktop PC and since I have the iPad I no longer use it online. Unwound like to share files vis wifi at times. Tried Splashtop and couldn't get it to see my computer. I did everything with my firewall I could think of doing and nothing worked.

You can share your music files between the PC and iPad. Go into settings and go to the iPod app, there is a sharing setup section, put in your iTunes pw info and then set up sharing on iTunes in your PC and the library will be available when you run the iPod app on your iPad.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I have 3 computers. Each has a different OS, and each has iTunes installed. None has any iTunes libraries or media. I have an old portable Formac hard drive (about the size of an iPhone) where all my iTunes libraries, apps and media are stored and backed up to. This is fantastic for sharing and transporting between computers and devices. All share the same everything.

Then, when I go down my parents, I just take my had drive with me in my pocket and my whole library is instantly open to me. Fantastic. iTunes only needs you topic t in in the direction of which drive you store you libraries and media and you're singing :)

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
I have 3 computers. Each has a different OS, and each has iTunes installed. None has any iTunes libraries or media. I have an old portable Formac hard drive (about the size of an iPhone) where all my iTunes libraries, apps and media are stored and backed up to. This is fantastic for sharing and transporting between computers and devices. All share the same everything.

Then, when I go down my parents, I just take my had drive with me in my pocket and my whole library is instantly open to me. Fantastic. iTunes only needs you topic t in in the direction of which drive you store you libraries and media and you're singing :)

Ah that sounds pretty good! So I could effectively use my library at work?

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I do.

Device memory space isn't an issue to me any more. I just sync what I like where I like when I like. Having your complete iTunes media library with you at all times on a small portable drive is the perfect solution in my opinion.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
I do.

Device memory space isn't an issue to me any more. I just sync what I like where I like when I like. Having your complete iTunes media library with you at all times on a small portable drive is the perfect solution in my opinion.

What's your collection at? I have at least 100gb of music...

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions