What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Sharing Video Library (SLOW)

Da of 2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking for help to speed up the catalog building when using the IPAD to access Itunes library.

I am using IOS 4.3 on my IPAD 2 and love the ability to share music and videos from Itunes but hate the time it takes for the catalog to build to access the videos. I have a couple hundred (still growing) titles in my library and it takes up to 20 minutes for them to all populate to where you can choose the video you want to watch.

Is there a better way or a setting that can be modified to speed this process up?

Is it worth purchasing an app? do they work better then the built in sharing? I do not need to do this outside of my own home wifi network at this point.

Thanks for any help,
Da of 2

majura

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What type of router do you have? How many devices are accessing your network?

OP
D

Da of 2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Linksys I think capable of n. A few devices maybe 2-3 at one time. Desktop hard wired to router.

Music, thousands of titles has no issues. It is like building the thumbnails is just really slow. Have been looking for a way to just show titles but have not found anything.

Any idea of what information is being populated to create the catalog?

Reaction score
Very odd.

Do you only have the linksys router, or are there other access points between the PC and your iPad?

Have you checked, whether the wifi is .11n enabled? Though it shouldn't matter all that much, as the iPad only handles wifi speeds up to 65Mb/s, not much faster then the .11g's 54Mb/s, but it may be worthwhile enabling it.

Are the videos all bought from the iTunes store? Or could it be, that they simply have very large thumbnails, in case your movies come from other sources.

Your PC is connected via Ethernet, which in theory should significantly boost the speed. I wonder, if the PC is causing the slowdown. What type of PC do you use?

Perhaps your iPad is running low on memory. Could you restart it and see if that is of any help (press&hold power button, then slide to power off).

ringonbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem and am hoping to find an answer. I am running itunes on a mac mini, hardwired to the current Airport Extreme (802.11n), yet when I Home Share to either my iPhone 4 or iPad 2, it takes about 10mins to load the library on each device! Of course if I leave the home sharing or open another app and come back, I have to go through the process again. Is there a way to save the cached library on my devices? Is this how slow iCloud will be? On the iPad it is just as slow with Music and Videos. I have about 160 Gig worth of music and about 1.4 TB in vie (tv and movie), ripped DVD collection. I would LOVE some guidance as to how to have a seamless interaction with this content over my wifi.. Thanks!

jsfarq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having same problem. Same library shared to other iTunes clients, connected to same WiFi network, pops shared video list in less than a second. iPad takes FOREVER to display video list (thumbnails) then if you go out and come back, it does it all over again! I wish there was a text only option. Is there another app that plays videos from a shared iTunes library?

Most reactions

Latest posts