What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can you make free phone calls to ANYBODY on the ipad?

laura331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which app can you buy(free if possible) to make a regular call to a cell phone with no special features like FaceTime and all that? Because I saw my friend had an app where it was free calling and I DON'T THINK you even had to make an account or sign in. Does anybody know what app this may be or knoww of any apps that you can just CALL ORDINARY numbers on??? Thanks:D

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't see how that would work. If you are making a voice call to a cell phone somebody has to pay. Are you sure that they weren't using Skype?

joeinblu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes...second vote for Whistle Phone. It works great...u just have to listen to a short commercial before it connects your call...but then that's why it's free.

jnoslop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
joeinblu said:
Yes...second vote for Whistle Phone. It works great...u just have to listen to a short commercial before it connects your call...but then that's why it's free.

I've used Whistle and it works great. At least on international calls, the phone hangs up after 20 minutes, though, so you just call again. I've only received Whistle calls on a cell phone, not iPad. You have to be careful with that because you are charged minutes by your cell carrier. I'm curious whether Whistle works iPad to iPad. Has anyone tried that?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OP doesn't say which country she is in. Free Whistle is only available in the US at present.

In the UK, for example, you have to pay.

Tim

Last edited:

jnoslop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The OP doesn't say which country she is in. Free Whistle is only available in the US at present.

In the UK, for example, you have to pay.

Tim

My friend made free calls to me from Japan, with the 20 minute limitation, in May. But I had to pay for the received minutes on my cell phone. I'm assuming if we called iPad to iPad, we both could have avoided charges, but I didn't know how to receive Whistle calls on the iPad.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a friend that uses Whistle and it it horrible! I told him not to call me on it anymore. It is so annoying. Can't hear, static, ugh.

Last edited:

Mart1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Scydo (it´s a free app), works at best over wifi. 3G does give sometimes problems. You can call for free to other user with Scydo.
You can also call to people who don´t have Scydo for much lesser rates then Skype if you pay them at least $10,- for credit. You can try this first because you get $0.50 for free after you installed it. They promiss that they will not use your adressbook. You can't register it on the iPad because you need to get an sms for the activation code, so I installed it first on my Samsung Galaxy S and used that phonenumber and password also on my iPad to directly log in. If I get a call, both my SGS and iPad are ringing and I can choose with which device I will answer.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scydo-free-phone-calls/id422578635?mt=8#

Last edited:

Stockbidder2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whistle to whistle free free

Just give him your whistle number. Your number is in the top every time you start whistle.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could also try Talkatone, which is a free app that hooks into/with Google Chat. It works on both WiFi and 3G at no cost to you to make or receive calls (although, if you're calling a cell phone, they get charged).

None of them are awewome (I get the static that Marie talks about) - but they do work. I used Talkatone on [free] McDonald's WiFi to get vehicle repair assistance.

Marilyn

OP
L

laura331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
joeinblu said:

I've used Whistle and it works great. At least on international calls, the phone hangs up after 20 minutes, though, so you just call again. I've only received Whistle calls on a cell phone, not iPad. You have to be careful with that because you are charged minutes by your cell carrier. I'm curious whether Whistle works iPad to iPad. Has anyone tried that?

Really? I think i should try. :D

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could also try Talkatone, which is a free app that hooks into/with Google Chat. It works on both WiFi and 3G at no cost to you to make or receive calls (although, if you're calling a cell phone, they get charged).

None of them are awewome (I get the static that Marie talks about) - but they do work. I used Talkatone on [free] McDonald's WiFi to get vehicle repair assistance.

Marilyn

Just a footnote - it's only in the United States (not sure about Canada) that you get charged to receive a cellular 'phone call. The original philosophy of the GSM standards committee was that a user cannot control who calls them and so shouldn't be charged - all charges should be to the call originator. The only exception is calling a user when the 'phone is roaming. Since the call originator cannot know what country the called 'phone is in (or even if the 'phone is in another country) the GSM committee decided that the call originator should bear the cost of a domestic cellular 'phone call and the called 'phone should bear the roaming charge, since there are facilities within the GSM standard that enable the user to restrict incoming calls when they are roaming.

When the US adopted the GSM standard, a special exception was made because of the way in which the US had regional 'phone services and had been used to having incoming call charges under the original 1G analogue AMPS-standard cellular 'phones (now how many people here even remember the old AMPS cellular 'phones!!)

OK - geek mode off.....

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts