What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I add a photo or file to a folder in DROPBOX using ipad??

Hcm17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't have 2 pages open at the same timon the iPad, so how can I actually place photos or file in there when it is open? Seems Ike I can only access files. However, there's nothing to access at the moment except sample pics :(

Thank so much in advance for your help!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A photo is just about the only thing you can directly upload from the DropBox app. Just tap on the camera icon at the bottom right and select a photo to upload.

The iPad does not have a shared file system. Each app contains it's own file space, pretty much owning anything in that space. This makes working with files a bit different from how you are used to doing it on a computer. Instead of finding a file and opening it in an app, you open your app and find the file.

Some apps directly support DropBox. You can set up your DropBox account in the app and go directly there to upload and download files from that app. GoodReader is probably one of the more useful of these apps. It handles a large number of file types for viewing. Many apps can send files to GoodReader via the Open In.. feature, and if the app supports it GoodReader can send files to that app using the Open In... .

As an example of how Open In works, find one of those sample files in your DropBox, one of the Get Started pdf files, not a picture. Select it and let it download. Now tap on the share icon at the top right of your screen. It looks like a box with an arrow coming out of it. You'll see a list of compatible apps that you can open the file in. If you have iBooks or GoodReader they will appear. Note, that app has to not only be able to read the file, but has to register itself with iOS as compatible with that file type. Not all apps do this. So you might not see any in the list.

All in all, it's a bit of a dance finding the right apps for what you want to do. That's a big part of what the forum is about. Use the search to try and find the things you want, and if that doesn't work go ahead and start your own thread and ask. But you already know how to do that. :)

If you don't have it, I recommend getting the iPad Users Guide. You can download it for your computer with the following link. I also recommend getting the iBook app from the App Store. Once you have it go to the iBook Store in the app and get the iPad User's Guide there. Both are free.

iPad Users Guide
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_User_Guide.pdf

Last edited:

ratatapa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest not listening to the guy on top of me because he is 50% right

From a native Ipad yes you cannot upload anythin else then pictures BUT

If you have the OMG AWSOME app named good reader, you can upload anything to dropbox, as soon as you have the file on the good reader just connect to dropbox from the good read add, and you can upload or download items there directly

Also good reader with the USB program or the WIFI can be used as a USB key which makes it even better.

So there you go yes you can but you need good reader on Ipad (4.99) but well worth it (I bough it when it was .99 but I would buy it still at 10$ lol)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A photo is just about the only thing you can directly upload from the DropBox app. Just tap on the camera icon at the bottom right and select a photo to upload.

Heh. Had to post to say thanks for this. I've spent many, many moons extolling the virtues of Dropbox to all and sundry ... yet never knew this.

:eek:

So - thanks for the tip!

Marilyn

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As said, Goodreader is the key. However, a lot of the apps I use all the time are integrated with Dropbox, from Office HD, note apps, photo portfolio app, library ereader and a number more so I don't have any issue uploading in either direction with Dropbox. And, as said, you can easily upload photos FROM Dropbox. Once you have it, add some apps plus, of course, Goodreader, you will see how essential it is both for backing up but also for moving files around on the Ipad. My favorite app I think.

I showed a friend this weekend how to organize minutes for an organization she gets as email attachments as docs by using Goodreader and then easily make them available to her other computers by uploading to Dropbox from Goodreader also.

Diane

ShineOn0001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how about a photo from the ipad photo library?

hello peeps...in connection to this...pls advice how can I add 4 photos from my ipad photo library to Dropbox or files from docstogo... thanks a lot!

Most reactions

Latest posts