What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hotmail contacts

John Collins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I have only recently acquired an IPad Air, so we are still in the learning phase. So far so good - managed to work out how it all hangs together. Just one small issue though.....
Has anyone had difficulties in getting Hotmail contacts into their iPad contact list ?
I’ve got an Gmail e-mail account whilst my wife has Hotmail.
Getting my Gmail working, including all my contacts, was a breeze – just tapped the Googlemail set up button and followed the instructions. All my contacts instantly appeared and they also get updated automatically. As it’s web based that’s what I expected.
However, that was not the case with my wife’s Hotmail e-mail. None of her contacts appeared on the iPad when I set it up.
I’ve looked on various forums and followed the various suggested “solutions”, but none of them appear to work.
The way I got around this problem was to go onto my PC and export my wife’s Hotmail contacts and then import them all into my Gmail account. Going back to the iPad, all my wife’s contacts then appeared along with my existing contacts.
When sending a mail from either e-mail account on the iPad, Gmail or Hotmail, all the contacts are available on a drop down list. This would suggest that the contact list on the iPad is not mail account specific ?? Is this correct ??
Also is it possible to download just my wife's Hotmail contacts, so that these only appear on her iPad e-mail account ??

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

The Contacts list on the iPad is account specific. That's why you find Groups in the app:
image.jpg

Which way did you set up her email account on the iPad? Is/was Contacts enabled in the account in Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - the account?

What did you use to set up the account? Was it Outlook or something else?

Last edited:
OP
J

John Collins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I’ve now managed to get it all sorted.
When I set up the Hotmail account originally, I think I may have used the “Other” set up template tab option instead of the “Outlook”.
I don’t remember seeing any references to Contacts when setting it up.
I deleted the Hotmail account, then started all over again, but this time used the “Outlook” option. This time everything worked, and “Contacts” appeared. All my wife’s Hotmail contacts are now accessible and the e-mail function works fine. Don’t see why people are going on about the need to sync mail and contacts as both Gmail and Hotmail are web based and any new mails and contacts instantly appear on my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts