What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hot iPad

ireneh68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this site and couldn't find any forums on my issue. I have the original iPad. Just recently it has been getting extremely hot while I've been using it. The battery is also dying extremely quick. At 5 pm it was at 100% battery life. It's 3 hours later and is down to 28% and dropping. I have closed all of the open apps and battery still dying and iPad still hot.am down to 27% battery life while writing this post. Any suggestions are appreciated.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's my guess that the battery could be failing. As far as I know, we haven't had any battery failures yet, because the original iPad is only a couple of years old, and failure is not general yet.

Pit simply, we don't know how long the batteries should last in real world usage, although the statistics probably exist somewhere as to the number of charging cycles you should expect.

I would allow it to drain completely, until it turns itself off, then charge it overnight without turning it on. Monitor battery drain time and see if it getting worse.

I will be surprised if the battery is failing as this would mean less than a thousand full charge cycles. I'm pretty sure you should expect mor than that.

I hope someone else can come up with a suggestion. Failing that it might be an idea to contact your local Apple Store and see if they have any information about battery failure numbers.

Most reactions