What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Sharing videos? SOLVED

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iOS 10.2 deleted the Videos app. Now there's apparently no way for me to stream Library videos from my iMac to my iPad. Yes, Home Sharing is on, yadda yadda.

Apple's support website still says to use Videos, so it's in total cerebral-anal displacement mode. Has anyone found a solution for this stupid Apple move? Please don't speculate, just tell us what works for you.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS 10.2 deleted the Videos app. Now there's apparently no way for me to stream Library videos from my iMac to my iPad. Yes, Home Sharing is on, yadda yadda.

Apple's support website still says to use Videos, so it's in total cerebral-anal displacement mode. Has anyone found a solution for this stupid Apple move? Please don't speculate, just tell us what works for you.
So far the deletion of the Videos app is only in the USA, here in Canada we still have the Videos app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Videos app is now the TV App. Go to the TV App in Settings and choose the iTunes Videos option at the top. Make sure you are logged into Home Sharing on that page.

Home Sharing shows up in the menu on Library tab in the TV app.

Image.jpeg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So far the deletion of the Videos app is only in the USA, here in Canada we still have the Videos app.

That's because the TV app has some integration with AppleTV services. I don't believe those are availalbe in outside the U.S. yet, so you're still on the old app.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, not sure what's going on. Here's a couple of things to try.

Make sure iTunes is running on the computer. Home Sharing does not work in the background.

Try signing out and back into Home Sharing on both the computer and the iPad. Make sure you are using the same Apple ID.

Is Home Sharing working for your Music app?

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, iTunes is always running; home sharing is working fine in Music, and I can stream iPad videos to my Apple TV.

FWIW, I have no rented or purchased videos, only my own movies. There might be a conspiracy theory lurking therein... :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm.

There is another member having nearly identical issues as you, only with the Music app. I'm afraid I can't come up with an answer for either of you. The rare (and distant past) times I've had issues with Home Sharing, signing back on both devicdes was what worked for me.

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
SOLVED! I read in another forum that my problem is what happens when one has no videos downloaded from the iTunes store; having at least one allegedly wakes up the TV app. Well, the last time I downloaded such a vid, it took two years to get rid of it again, so fat chance that will happen. But on a whim, I checked a box in iTunes (on my iMac) to sync a single 1.3 MB vid from my iMac's library to the iPad, and it worked. Now I can select the shared library and stream its contents. Yet another undocumented Apple "feature," I suppose. Not a single Apple decision maker could imagine I might want to stream only movies I didn't buy from them? Arrogant, greedy morons, is more like it.

If the member with the music issue has no songs in his iPad's Music app, ask him to sync one from iTunes. It might work the same weird, perverted, brainless way.

Last edited:

Most reactions