What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi, just bought new ipad2 ~ talk me into keeping it

OP
D

diamond.s.ranch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not phone dial up, its dial up speed from radio tower (I think they buy broadband then somehow send it by towers or something like that), but again my signal is very weak because of the woods surrounding the ranch and so the faster speed test I have is about like dial up Yuck!

I have a couple more weeks before I have to take one of these back to best buy, but yeah the screen on the Ipad is definitely better than the galaxy. The galaxy is very dim on auto and looks much better when I turn the brightness up, but then has way too much color. I played the exact same video I recorded of the dogs on both and the Ipad looked much more true to color, the galaxy had too much color and shadowing. As of now I would take the galaxy back and also exchange the ipad for one with gps/3g- and just not use the 3g.

Thanks every one and don't forget to tell me anything or tip I should know about. So far the open tabs number at the top is really nice to have and the larger icons look nice too-

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
keep both, you are already saving on the high prices we pay for our high speed internet.

even if you don't keep the iPad, you can always go and buy it again.

here load this one page and read....macbook air and iPad..
13-inch MacBook Air Review

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
So are you going to keep your iPad? I have never found anything that has a better, more crisp colorful picture.

Except ~

I did see a commerical the other day for the HP something....at first I thought it was an iPad commercial, as the picture was damn good!

But it was the Hp tablet.

HP tablet is weird. Uses a whole different operating system since HP bought Palm. Besides its thick and heavy. However, they did drop the price by $100

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So are you going to keep your iPad? I have never found anything that has a better, more crisp colorful picture.

Except ~

I did see a commerical the other day for the HP something....at first I thought it was an iPad commercial, as the picture was damn good!

But it was the Hp tablet.

Marie, you know the screen images are simulated right? :D
That's why if you look close their finger doesn't match the screen exactly.

That's why you can't judge screen awesomeness based on commercials.

Reaction score
yeah, wildblue and hughesnet came out, but no luck. On top of everything else, our house is built in the valley portion of ranch. If it just could have had view north like the other tower we erected it might have worked ok. It's easy on the eyes out here, just a little hard on technology for now.

Thanks so much for the info on the 3g gps, I'm glad to hear I wont have to worry about the 3g portion. I think I'm leaning towards exchanging for that. I really appreciate your help.

As an owner of both an ipad 3g and a Tab 10.1, if you've got any questions I'll be glad to help.
I'm not going to try to persuade you either direction, just answer any questions you have about either device. I've put both through the entire range if motions and have pretty much pushed both to their limits.
In all honesty they both have their strengths and their weaknesses.
I've gotten an app called Spare Parts on my Tab that makes any Android app render correctly on Honeycomb so the Honeycomb specific apps selection has multiplied exponentially.
Ios5 on the ipad will open a new world of possibilities once released as well should you decide that route.
The gps on both is very accurate and fast from the box but on the Tab an app called GPS Essentials speeds the lock time to about 10 seconds at most, even inside. Star Walk on the ipad is by far the best sky gazing app on either platform. I don't mind waiting an extra 20 seconds to get a lock if it means a far superior app that I use gps for most of the time anyway.
The ipad 3g has both cdma and a gsm version so depending on who has the better signal, verizon or att, would be the way to go. The att version can be pay go data or no data at all (what I did) but I'm not sure how the verizon one works in that regard.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

CJL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like Mountainbikemark, I have multiple tablets with different OS's. If you can afford it, you may want to keep both:)

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
diamond.s.ranch said:
Yes dial up speeds and it will drive you to drink, haaa. But it's not even a phone line (they want $30000 to bring a phone line out here, crazy!!). It's actually a radio tower thing and because of all the woods around the ranch it would only get me up to dial up speed. I got a tall tower to catch a Sprint tower to have cell service, but there's no data on that tower and they said they don't plan on it. I could go on and on with my gripes about the internet out here, you have no idea!!! LOL. Anyway, I really like the Ipad2 a lot, and the only thing I really miss is the swype (guess I could live without it). I bought a logic tech keyboard/case and I really like it and it works really well. I'm typing on it now. And the only thing I like about the Galaxy is that it has swype. I haven't missed any other apps really. So far I am liking the Ipad better.

Do you have sattlite cable like DirectTV or regular cable. My inlaws have a remote ranch up in Arkansas and they access the net through DirectTV or some form of Sattelite. It actually works pretty good exceptbduring storms or bad weather.

OP
D

diamond.s.ranch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still trying to make up my mind between the Ipad 2 and Galaxy tab.

thanks, and again yeah I tried the wildblue and Hughesnet but didn't have any luck. They told me it was possible but their test gages showed no faster speeds than the snail mail speed I already had.

I am so surprised at how hard it is for me to decide between this Ipad2 and the Galaxy tab. I think I've made my decision, then play with them some more and change my mind again. So far the ipad seems to be more stable when I am browsing the internet. But it is just so ugly on the home screen and I'm not use to not being able to change the icons that all ARE exactly the same shape and spacing, etc... BUT the galaxy sometimes goes back to the home screen right while I'm imputting something on the web page I'm looking at. And all the keyboards I've tried seem to really lag and be behind when I'm typing. That is extremely annoying and if I mess up while typing and need to delete I actuallly have to sit there and wait on it. This happens to all 3 keyboards I try on it. Also I booked hotel room on it an I had to turn it vertical to see the confirmation and checkout pages correctly to check off some of the required fields and I haver have to do anything like that on the ipad.
I bought these to mostly just surf web and emails, social network that kind of grandma thing, ha. So when the galaxy makes that more time consuming it's extremely annoying. But on the other hand it's also extremely annoying that the Ipad is so ugly with those just plain exact shaped icons (I'm so use to EVO and having every widget and saymyname etc.... ). I've never had an Iphone or anything I am SO surprised that anyone could stand having one with the restrictions and having it look exactly like everyone else's, that's wild I had no idea before this.
But since I do have my EVO and that is what would always be with me when I drive to town or something, I have everything on it I need and the Ipad/Galaxy would just be for trips and sitting in the recliner at night playing on the internet, so that is the only reason I'm still considering the Ipad as winner so far even though it's definitely basic. But I would exchange the IPad2 for one with 3g just to have the GPS feature.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so you wanna look like this
untitledphoto0001.jpg

Reaction score
I think they mean they want it to look more like this or something totally them

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1313435271126.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313435271126.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 210
  • uploadfromtaptalk1313435291172.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313435291172.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 203
  • uploadfromtaptalk1313435305139.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313435305139.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 234
  • uploadfromtaptalk1313435325098.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313435325098.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 196
  • uploadfromtaptalk1313435338510.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1313435338510.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 215

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know, you can always jailbreak the iPad - it's not at all difficult with Comex and you'd be able to customize everything more. You can completely change the icons (I recently just changed all my icons to desserts!) and you can install tweaks so you don't have to have full pages of icons. You can even install widgets. I had the HTC animated weather widget on mine for awhile. The possibilities are endless when you jailbreak.

I can't say for the Galaxy, as I've never owned one, but that lag you speak of with the keyboards would get extremely annoying and I've never heard of a fix for that after rooting an android device, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
Touch Wiz fixes the lag on the browser. Opera Mobile for Android doesn't have the lag either. It drove me nuts until I got Opera and now the TW makes the stock browser work correctly, it's a rendering issue, as well as adding a ton of new features.

Support Our Troops!!!
Sent from this Galaxy

Most reactions

Latest posts