What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi, just bought new ipad2 ~ talk me into keeping it

diamond.s.ranch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i just bought my first Apple product, ipad2, two days ago at best buy, also bought a galaxy tab10.1 to compare. Since I'm a silver member at best buy I have 30 days to try them out and decide which one I'm going to keep. So I'd love to hear from you all about the iPad and things I might should know to fairly compare. I'm learning more everyday I'm playing with them, but for you that have had them quite a while you may have some tips for me. The only thing I don't like about the iPad so far is there is no swype keyboard. I really like that and is much quicker and easier on the galaxy. But I do really like the simple menus of the ipad2 and the screen looks more realistic colors.. thanks everyone in advance for all your tips I want to consider to keep the ipad2.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So ~ you want us to convince you to keep your iPad? There are many threads here and posts advocating the iPad.

Pop some popcorn and start reading.;)

Welcome to our forum!

OP
D

diamond.s.ranch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So ~ you want us to convince you to keep your iPad? There are many threads here and posts advocating the iPad.

Pop some popcorn and start reading.;)

Welcome to our forum!

Ok, thanks I will, and need lots of popcorn! Ha.
Since I live literally in the middle of no where, my internet is dial up speed, so takes 30 minutes for one page, it really sucks. So thanks anyway, I'll just keep learning.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on what you are hoping to do with it. Not many android apps for the tablets yet.

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's really simple, If you can live without Flash, stick with the Apple, if you can't stick with the other tablets and the issues that are associated with Flash.

Last edited:
OP
D

diamond.s.ranch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes dial up speeds and it will drive you to drink, haaa. But it's not even a phone line (they want $30000 to bring a phone line out here, crazy!!). It's actually a radio tower thing and because of all the woods around the ranch it would only get me up to dial up speed. I got a tall tower to catch a Sprint tower to have cell service, but there's no data on that tower and they said they don't plan on it. I could go on and on with my gripes about the internet out here, you have no idea!!! LOL. Anyway, I really like the Ipad2 a lot, and the only thing I really miss is the swype (guess I could live without it). I bought a logic tech keyboard/case and I really like it and it works really well. I'm typing on it now. And the only thing I like about the Galaxy is that it has swype. I haven't missed any other apps really. So far I am liking the Ipad better.

OP
D

diamond.s.ranch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I forgot, the other thing I miss on the Ipad is the GPS feature that the Galaxy does have. I wonder if I buy the 3g version that does have the GPS feature if I have to activate that? Since I don't have data, I need to find out if it still works okay. I'll try to look on here to see if anyone knows if you have to activate the 3g for it to work properly or not.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only the 3G version has GPS because it shares some of the electronics circuitry with 3G. There's no need to activate 3G or even have it turned on to use GPS.

If you need DSL speeds in 'the middle of nowhere' you might want to consider satellite broadband. There are several service providers offering two-way satellite broadband that give about 2 Mbps. If, from your location, you can 'see' the satellite geostationary arc - that means a view due south and not obstructed by too much - such as a mountain - you're good to go.

Tim

OP
D

diamond.s.ranch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah, wildblue and hughesnet came out, but no luck. On top of everything else, our house is built in the valley portion of ranch. If it just could have had view north like the other tower we erected it might have worked ok. It's easy on the eyes out here, just a little hard on technology for now.

Thanks so much for the info on the 3g gps, I'm glad to hear I wont have to worry about the 3g portion. I think I'm leaning towards exchanging for that. I really appreciate your help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dial-up with the iPad is not a problem. I have an (old) dial-up Linksys router that then connects by WiFi to a host computer. Not sure if they're still available but, for sure, you'd be able to get one on eBay or similar.

Tim

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dial up woooo..!! well if you have the patience start searching here at the forum you would find awesome info..!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So are you going to keep your iPad? I have never found anything that has a better, more crisp colorful picture.

Except ~

I did see a commerical the other day for the HP something....at first I thought it was an iPad commercial, as the picture was damn good!

But it was the Hp tablet.

Most reactions

Latest posts