What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi I am very noob at this

Supafongboon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a few questions and the tutorials aren't really helping me because I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

My ipad 2 is currently 4.3.3. I've had it jailbroken through "jailbreakme.com" a year ago and have just left it as is. I now want to update it to 5.1.1 but still want it to be jailbroken. I saw that there is a way to jailbreak 5.1.1 so I thought it is time to update.

I was wondering if i have to restore my ipad to it's factory setting via itunes. If I do, do i have to follow this?

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/52863-tutorial-failsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Or can I just click restore and it will work? Or can I just click UPDATE and it will work?

I've never been very good at this stuff, but I like having it jailbroken. Also, the purchases I made on cydia, can I reinstall them onto my ipad after the update?

Are all jailbreaks basically the same?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a few questions and the tutorials aren't really helping me because I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

My ipad 2 is currently 4.3.3. I've had it jailbroken through "jailbreakme.com" a year ago and have just left it as is. I now want to update it to 5.1.1 but still want it to be jailbroken. I saw that there is a way to jailbreak 5.1.1 so I thought it is time to update.

I was wondering if i have to restore my ipad to it's factory setting via itunes. If I do, do i have to follow this?

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/52863-tutorial-failsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Or can I just click restore and it will work? Or can I just click UPDATE and it will work?

I've never been very good at this stuff, but I like having it jailbroken. Also, the purchases I made on cydia, can I reinstall them onto my ipad after the update?

Are all jailbreaks basically the same?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!

The best thing to do is to connect your iPad to iTunes and then select the "Restore" button. iTunes should take care of putting on the iOS 5.1.1 for you. After a few prompts, you should end up with a brand new out-of-the-box iPad.

We recommend that sticky you linked as a way to get around any errors. However, we have found that most people, now, can easily upgrade the iPad using only iTunes. So, try that first...

One thing - make a good backup of your iPad before you Restore it. This will ensure your apps and settings are all saved for later. I don't recommend backing up your Cydia tweaks because you are moving to a major new version of iOS (from 4.x to 5.x). Just make a list of what you have and then, when you have jail broke your iPad, you can go back and re-install your tweaks. Cause yes, Cydia is like the App Store in that once you've bought a tweak, it's yours and you can re-install it.

After iTunes finishes updating your iPad to iOS 5.1.1 [this is important] - because you want to immediately jail break the iPad on iOS 5.1.1, when prompted by iTunes, select the "set up as new" option. You want to do the bare minimum to get your iPad up and running on iOS 5.1.1. That'll make the Absinthe jail break go the best. So, do NOT put all your apps on the iPad.

Once you are on iOS 5.1.1, then you can jail break the iPad by running the Absinthe program. After you've gotten it jail broken, then you can put your backup on it (in iTunes, select "restore from backup" - this will not intfering with your jail break). Then, you can go back to Cydia and reinstall your tweaks.

So, to narrow all this down to a list:

(1) Backup your iPad with iTunes
(2) Restore the iPad to iOS 5.1.1 using iTunes (restore as new, do not restore from backup)
(3) Jailbreak the iPad
(4) Restore from backup to put your apps and settings back on
(5) Reinstall your tweaks and such from Cydia
(6) Enjoy your newly jail broken iPad on iOS 5.1.1 :)

At any time along the way, should you need help - holler. We'll be glad to assist. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Most reactions